Tuesday, May 21, 2013

The Sorta Overly-Attached Reunion: The Post-Brunei Adventures in Manila

- May 21 2013, Tuesday.

- I recently came home from my Brunei trip, and my companions/friends Reymund and Gino will fly back to their homes in Iloilo and Iligan this Thursday. With some days to spare, they asked if me if I could assist them in going around the usual tourist spots in Manila.

- I arrived home from Hindi class after noon, had a light lunch, and went to UN Avenue to meet Reymund and Gino. We started our tour with visiting Rizal's monument in the Rizal Park, and witnessed the changing of guards.



- We proceeded to Intramuros, where most of the landmarks were under renovation (San Agustin Church, Manila Cathedral, Rizal Shrine, etc.) The only thing that pleased me the most was that the San Agustin Church was being restored to its old "classy" gray-stone color. I loathed the fleshy-pink color it used to have, and I know that a ton of people were angry about that too.

Repainted San Agustin Church.

Manila Cathedral.
Fort Santiago
- We later walked to Escolta and Chinatown, and had a mini food trip. Gino and Reymund bought fried siopao, and we had birthday noodles and crystal shrimp in President (the big one.) We also had Dongbei's dumplings and xiaolongbaos. Just before dinner, we walked to Lucky Chinatown Mall to cool off, and grab a ride to SM Manila.



Their "first xiaolongbao."

- Rachel and Ann, both our companions in Brunei, were waiting for us when we arrived via tricycle - an unusual way to get to SM Manila from Chinatown. We had dinner at Shakeys. Fortunately, our other friend Gem, who we haven't seen since our delegation trip to India last December, was able to meet us. The dinner was on Ann.

Thank you Ann!!

- I am still tired from Brunei, and my Hindi class this morning, but I was very happy to have been reunited with my co-delegates from India. I really hope to have more journeys around the world with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment