Monday, July 8, 2013

Rubbing Elbows with Iranian Diplomats

- July 8, 2013, Monday.

- Today was one of those days that I am EXTREMELY thankful for the invention of the internet, especially Facebook. All this time, I thought that the forum on Iranian public diplomacy, held in the conference room of the UP Asian Center, 10am-12 noon, was supposed to be tomorrow's agenda. While doing my report on my class this morning, I noticed a Facebook reminder of today's forum. Alarmed, I quickly got dressed and left the house.  In a weird twist of events, I got to the event on time, and I was one of the early people there. (I had less than an hour to work with from my house to UP, and my travel time is normally an hour.)

- The event was facilitated by Dr. Henelito Sevilla Jr., the Asian Center's resident faculty who specializes in West Asia, particularly Iran. The guests were none other than the Iranian ambassador himself, His Excellency Ali Asghar Mohammadi, and the main man of the day, His Excellency Ramin Mehmanprasat. H.E. Mehmanprasat is the head of the Center for Public Diplomacy and Media of the Islamic Republic of Iran, and was the former ambassador of Iran to Kazakhstan and Thailand. He is one of the most sought after Iranian diplomats in the field of diplomacy and politics.




- The forum mainly tackled on the role of mass media and culture in the field of diplomacy, concerned that ran bells in my ears; these are some of my interests and concerns on diplomacy. I also realized that Iran, like many countries, is far from what (Western) media portrays it to be. Hon. Mariano Dumia, former ambassador of the Philippines to Iran, also reacted on these, and testified that Iran is one of the most hospitable countries, a progressive one, and a glorious country built on 7000 years of civilization. Aside from these, the forum also mentioned the stagnant foreign relations between the USA and Iran, mainly due to the nuclear weapons, and that Iran is ready to open itself to improving the bilateral relations of both countries, only if the USA will change its attitude towards Iran.

H.E. Ali Asghar Mohammadi, ambassador of the Islamic Republic of Iran to the Philippines.

H.E. Ramin Mehmanprasat, the head of the Center of Public Diplomacy and Media of Iran.
Plaque of Appreciation.
A gift from Iran from the Asian Center.
- I learned many things today, and am inspired to know more about Iran. It will definitely help me with my studies on India, especially since India has had many Persian influences, especially during the Mughal Empire, India's Islamic early modern empire, ruled by Turko-Mongolic people. (It was also the era responsible for the existence of the Taj Mahal.)

My turn!!
And another prized photo.
- Of course, I didn't miss my opportunity of taking photos with both distinguished guests, and today's bonus, I got to have the Iranian ambassador's calling card. Heehee.

No comments:

Post a Comment