Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Unearthing the Persian Treasures: The Iranian Cultural Exhibit in Manila

- September 11, 2013, Wednesday.

- Less than 24 hours after my Argentinian night, I attended the oprning of the Iranian cultural week in the Binhi ng Kalayaan garden located right beside the relief map of the Rizal Park. My friend from graduate school informed us about this event, although I did not see updates or news about this event other than the Facebook photo my friend tagged me in. It's safe to say that I was a bit anxious that the event wouldn't push through for whatever reason.


- Since I was a bit vacant today I thought of visiting Luneta just in case the event pushed through. While on the train to Luneta, I saw a big banner about the Iranian cultural week, and I knew I made the right decision of going to Luneta.

- I had a hard time looking for the Binhi ng Kalayaan garden, especially since Google maps misinformed me, but I found it anyway. The location was a small function room, with exhibits on textiles, pottery, musical instruments, books, calligraphy, photography, and carvings. I also appreciated that the exhibit also presented some photos about women empowerment and mobility, and Iran's progress, other than its grand historical background. (After all, Iran created the first world empire, according to one of the tarps there.)


The tarp I mentioned.
Replica of famous stone/wall carvings.
Iranian flag.

- The event was attended by a cozy group of people, some of them Filipinos from the press and other organizations, and with most attendees coming from the cultural section of the Iranian Embassy. Fortunately, I was able to witness the ribbon cutting ceremony that officially marked the opening of the event. By the way, the event will last until the 15th of September (Sunday.)


Tada!!



Traditional instruments with the Iranian flag at the background.
Proudest moment: Took these last 2 photos by myself and my handy bag. Haha.

- I went around and around the exhibit, marveling and taking advantage of chance to behold the tangible pieces of culture that I may not see again, and who knows if or not I would go to Iran some day. Although I am majoring in South Asia (India specifically,) it is always interesting to go out of "my field" and discover the grandeur and treasures of other parts of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment