Sunday, March 23, 2014

Today's An Asian Day: Thailand Trade Exhibit 2014 Alone and Makchang Dinner with Friends

- March 23, 2014, Saturday.

- Planning today's activities came in as a surprise. I didn't expect to go to SMX today, and have dinner with high school friends until last night. At least I got my first dose of social life right after my Hong Kong conference trip (refer to previous entries.)

- I wasn't able to tag anyone for the Thai trade exhibit, so I went alone.The Thai trade exhibit has been organized by the Royal Thai Embassy for several years now, and I have been visiting the trade fair since 2012; they almost always had the same products, and they always had cultural performances and cooking demos. Hoping to have some sort of photo op with the Thai dancers, I wore my Balinese white Chinese-collar shirt, and my green Korean paji. Strange enough, the combination looked a bit Thai. Just in case I'd get to have a photo with the dancers, I brought along my DIY chain belt and chain sash, with my red cloth sash, to accent my white-and-green Balinese-Korean combo (with a Tibetan/Nepalese bracelet, and a Thai necklace.)


Fruit carving.

Some finger food.
- After arriving at SMX, I realized that the schedule provided in one of the tarps didn't match the actual schedule of the performances. I was able to witness a cooking demo, and afterwards, a Southern Thai fan dance.
Free foooood!! (Thai chicken curry.)












- At around 3pm, I was able to grab a moment with the dancers of the asarva lila (horse dance,) and asked one of the staff to take my photo with them. The asarva lila performed was a modernized version of the ancient horse dance. I assume that the added more western techniques to the execution (based ony my observation.)

Looks like I'm back in Thailand, no?? Hahahaha.


Sawasdee khrap!!
Glad I brought my easy-to-put-on Thai ensemble.
Horsieeee!!













Add caption




Add caption



Making sweet chili fish curry..



- After the cooking demo, another dance was shown - an Isaan harvest-and-fishing dance. The Isaan region is the northeastern region of Thailand, inhabited by a Lao-like culture.

A typical Isaan instrument.

The three guys on the right are doing the famous bull/water-buffalo dance position.



Final pose.
- The dance was followed by a fashion show, showcasing ensembles from items that could be bought within the trade fair. This was my first time to see a fashion show in the event.

Dance intro to the fashion show.





- I left after watching the fashion show, since the program was over for the day, although the event itself closed at 7pm. I ate a really late proper lunch, and did some errands.

- I went to Makchang after my errands to meet some high school friends for a Korean dinner. Makchang only has a few items in its menu, but those that we've tried were tasty; the restaurant is famous for its grilled meat. We had dessert in Robinsons Place afterwards, and came home.

Yay for soju!!

- My day flew by again, although I felt that I was able to spend the day well. Had some good me-time, and a superb night with some good friends.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing, nice post! Post really provice useful information!

    Giaonhan247 chuyên dịch vụ mua hàng mỹ từ dịch vụ order hàng mỹ hay nhận mua nước hoa pháp từ website nổi tiếng hàng đầu nước Mỹ mua hàng ebay ship về VN uy tín, giá rẻ.

    ReplyDelete