Monday, January 14, 2019

(Part 4) Germany's Bavarian South: A Peasant in Munich's Fancy Palaces!!

- December 23, 2018, Sunday.

- Munich's well-preserved old-time charm has definitely made it one of Germany's most popular tourist destinations. Even though I have seen much of Munich's old town, I knew I had to see the royal side of Munich. While I had a good background on Bavarian royalty during my visit to Hohenschwangau (see Part 2 here), Munich itself has its own royal treasures to brag.

- At the north exit of Munich Hauptbahnhof (main stration,) I took an early morning tram ride to the Nymphenburg Palace (Tram 19, Nymphenburg Palace stop) located at the western side of Munich. It was the summer palace of the Bavarian rulers in the late 1600s, and until today, some of the distant descendants of royal family reside in certain parts of the palace. Most of the castle, however, functions as a museum and is open to the public.

Nymphenburg.
Even though it was winter, there were still many swans and ducks.

I'm glad none of them chased and bit me.
Main entrance.
- The Nymphenburg Palace is well known for its ornate interiors and Roman-god-adorned gardens. The statues of the Roman gods, however, were hidden in wooden boxes when I went there; this is usually done to stone/marble statues in Europe during winter so they won't be damaged by harsh winds, rain, and snow. Inside the palace, guests are welcomed by its pastel-colored marble hall. I was lucky that I met a Japanese lady who was good at taking photos, since I couldn't bring or use my tripod inside the castle.

The Marble Hall.
The Chinese Cabinet.
The Gallery of Beauties. This room has picture frames with paintings of women from different ethnic groups and occupations.
The room where King Ludwig II of Bavaria was born.
Just before leaving. Thank you kind Japanese lady.
- Outside the main palace, one can find several buildings surrounding it. In the early days, these functioned as storage buildings or bathing houses, but all them are museums today. The most prominent museums are located in the royal stables. The building of the former royal stables now houses an exhibition on royal carriages and porcelain.

The horses are fake (or perhaps taxidermied horses?)
Chariot from behind.
They had royal sleds too!!
This is porcelain!!
More porcelain.
- After leaving the palace I rode the tram back to Munich Hauptbahnhof, passed by St. Pauls' Church, and walked to Theresienwiese, which is an open space familiar to many because as it is the official venue of the Munich Oktoberfest. However, I was there for a different reason, and Oktoberfest was long over. (People can also reach both St. Paul's Church and Theresienwiese via the U-Bahn, Theresienwiese Station.) Every winter, Theresienwiese holds the Tollwood Festival (and in Olympiapark during summer.) The Tollwood Festival is an even that is supposed to celebrate ecological awareness, though it is usually known as an art and culture event. Apart from its international bazaar, with unending stuff from India, Africa, Nepal, and other parts of Europe, it also serves a wide range of cuisines around the world. I was able to eat my first bowl of "pierogi" (pi-RO-ghi), or Polish dumplings.

St. Paul's Church, built in 1906.

Tollwood at Theresienwiese, with the St. Paul's Church at the back.
- That afternoon, I walked back to the old town and spent the afternoon at the Residenz Museum. In Part 1 (click here), I showed a photo of the Residenz's facade, which to many people might look plain and gray. Do not be fooled!! This is the biggest palace in Munich, so big that it can easily take up half a day to see everything. I only bought tickets to see the main residence halls since the museum was closing a bit earlier that day, and I wasn't allowed to buy tickets to see the other wings anymore because I wouldn't be able to maximize my time. Well, the main residence is the most important part of the palace anyway, so I didn't mind.

No to bullying.
Saw this (including the one before) on the way to the Residenz Museum/
Had to pass by this one on the way to the Residenz too. This was another palace called the Alter Hof, the former residence of Louis IV.
- If the Nymphenburg Palace was a bit easy to navigate since it was a bit small, the Residenz Museum was Munich's answer to Hogwarts. The rooms were all over the place despite the guide arrows, and some pathways gave interesting surprises, like a walkway that goes through the second floor of the palace chapel - and it also happened that there was a flautist and a harpist practicing for a performance later that night. The most impressive rooms were the Renaissance Antiquarium (hall of antique Roman artifacts) and the Baroque Ancestral Gallery. The palace is quite old by the way, being built around the 1300s until it was expanded in the next few centuries.

First room, and boom, antiques.
The Renaissance Antiquarium.

Of course they also had artifacts from the east.
The beds were really high and they didn't look comfortable. Interestingly, people back then were a lot shorter. 
Music room.
Musicians practicing at the big hall. They were have a performance that night.
Stone Room.
See the harpist and the flautist?
King's private prayer room.
Function hall.
Chinese goods, and a Chinese boy.

Bedroom of the elector.
Baroque Ancestral Gallery.
- I hastily went back to my hostel after visiting the Residenz Museum because it was raining that afternoon. I also wanted to rest, perhaps have an early dinner, and pack my things again for the next leg of my trip. Four days was too short to explore the whole of Munich! While I was already being comfortable in Munich, especially since I also had a wonderful at my hostel, I had a hard time containing my excitement since I was off to another country beside Germany, and to a city made famous by "The Sound of Music" - Salzburg, Austria!!

- Please don't forget to read about my other adventures in Germany, Austria, and Slovakia here:

GERMANY:

Berlin and Potsdam: Part 1 here, Part 2 here, Part 3 here, Part 4 here

Munich and Schwangau:  Part 1 here, Part 2 here, Part 3 here

AUSTRIA:

Salzburg: Part 1 here, Part 2 here, Part 3 here

Vienna: Part 1 here, Part 2 here, Part 3 here
SLOVAKIA:

Bratislava: Click here

No comments:

Post a Comment