Wednesday, November 3, 2021

Manila Ocean Park's Reopening 2021: Finding Peace, Finding Fish

- Oct. 22, 2021, Friday.

- It's been a few months since my Chinese New Year post (click here) and the world has slightly been better with the vaccine rollouts worldwide. Some countries have opened up more and tourism has slowly gone back. The Philippines has seen some improvements - so they say - which led to some non-essential establishments reopening. One such establishment is the Manila Ocean Park, which reopened last October 21. Currently, it is open from Thursday to Sundays only (10am-6pm), and only to vaccinated people, and only from ages 18-65.

- In need of some air from all the work-related stress in the past months, I decided to go on a weekday, just to avoid crowds. I purchased my ticket online, and the moment I arrived in the Ocean Park, it was as if I owned the whole place! True enough, there were only a handful people since most people had work and children - who I guess would enjoy the Ocean Park the most - were still not allowed. 

Hello once again!!

- I am not a beach person, but I do enjoy looking at fish in big aquariums. I think watching them swim around helps me relax. Since there were times when I was with absolutely no one, I was able to take some nice photos with the fishes. I sometimes forget how big some of them are, and I looked at them in amazement as if I was seeing them in person for the first time.

With giant arapaimas, one of the world's biggest freshwater fishes. (Note: No one was there, only took off my mask for a couple of seconds for the photo.)

Like a huge arowana.

Tiny eel. Looking at it was hypnotc.

I find these sea anemones magical. Can you see the fish?

Little zebra-like eels.

The nautilus. One of the oldest-surviving cephalopod species. They have not changed much in the last 500 million or so years.

These are giant trevally, but they remind me of tuna. They're edible fish and have been eaten by mankind since prehistoric times. They're also treated as gods by the ancient HawaĆ­'ians!!

The most unusual fish.

I made sure I dressed with the theme - it was Japanese and ocean-inspired. (Note: No one was there, only took off the mask for the photo for a couple of seconds.)

- The highlight of the Ocean Park will always be the main "tunnel" where all the bigger fishes, sharks, and rays swim around you. I like it because I feel like I'm underwater - without being underwater. I don't usually like being in water (except when I need to take a bath.) 

Tranquility.

Rays flying over me will always be something I find fascinating. (Note: No one was there, only took off the mask for the photo for a couple of seconds.)

This giant grouper was probably a meter long.

A stingray and a wedgefish.

I wasn't in the water. Just took a photo from a different side. Also, another unusual...."fish."

- After going through the tunnel there was another giant tank with different kinds of sharks. It slightly made me feel nervous because of all the shark films I probably watched as a child.

Many types of sharks.

With a nurse shark. (Note: No one was there, only took off the mask for the photo for a couple of seconds.)

Smileeee.

- Going up the second floor, I met the penguins of the Ocean Park once again. They're so adorable and active, I'd love to pet them if I could. I could actually pay to go inside and feed them, but at that time I was really just happy to see them from outside the tank. I always liked seeing them waddle on land, but turn into these playful and delicate creatures once them jump in the water and swim.

So lucky to have had a photo with a swimming penguin! (Note: No one was there, only took off the mask for the photo for a couple of seconds.) 

It was a challenge to capture them while swimming.


I'd like to hug them. Just hoping they won't bite.


Close up.

- After visiting my penguin friends, I had the chance to see other attractions since I bought a combination ticket. I got to see some creepy crawlies, which I only like looking at as long as I don't touch them.

A hissing cockroach.

A blue monitor lizard just sitting around.

A legless lizard - it's not a snake!!

Now this is a snake. Look at that python!!

An albino boa constrictor.

- I also go to see some floating jellyfish. They're called "dancing jellyfish" because the tanks make them float around as if they're dancing. The changing lights are actually a bit distracting to me; many oceanariums across the world have this type of attraction though. I still went inside because it was included in my ticket (read: I paid for it so I must get my money's worth. HAHA.)

Mindlessly floating.


- Overall, I enjoyed my trip to the Manila Ocean Park mainly because my brain needed it before I go insane from work. I was really just glad that there was (almost) no one in the Ocean Park, so I was able to get from peace and quiet from whatever is happening in the world right now. I actually remember going to the Ocean Park probably in 2019 (sorry no blog about this) for the same reason: just to have some moment of tranquility. I'm happy that the Ocean Park has opened once more and that they're observing health protocols too. I hope that the pandemic will go away soon so more people, especially children, can enjoy the Manila Ocean Park once more!  

No comments:

Post a Comment