Wednesday, December 1, 2021

Lakbay Museo Reopening 2021: Same Same But Different

- Nov. 20, 2021, Saturday.

- You cannot imagine how happy I was when I heard that Lakbay Museo has reopened!! I was actually quite worried that it might close down permanently since it wasn't an essential business during the pandemic. It closed for almost two years, after all. 

- If you've never heard of Lakbay Museo, it is one of those new "instagrammable" museums that are quite trendy these days. Their main purpose is to let its visitors take pictures with whatever's inside these kinds of museums. Among the ones I know of here in Metro Manila, Lakbay Museo speaks to me the most because it showcases the different regions and cultures of the Philippines. (In short, it has the most educational value apart from the fact that you can take nice photos with everything inside.) It is located at the ground floor of S'Maison across SM Mall of Asia in Pasay City. I last went there during my birthday 2 years ago (click here to see pre-pandemic Lakbay Museo). I was supposed to go the day before but Lakbay Museo had an event so I decided to visit the Quezon Memorial Circle (click here). You may book tickets for Lakbay Museo through their website (click here).

- I was their first customer that morning since I reserved a slot for the earliest possible time (10AM). I anticipated a bigger crowd since it was a weekend, and I am still not comfortable being in a big crowd due to the pandemic. It was a good decision since it was easier to take photos as there was almost no one around. It was also nice to know that they still remember me. After all, I am probably their only customer who dresses up in full Philippine regalia.

Back in my territory. HAHA.

Please buy from my store. HAHA. (These are supposedly dried fish.)

My colleague isn't working hard enough. (Loljoke that's Piolo Pascual.)

POOR UNFORTUNATE SOULLLL.

- The sequence of the museum is quite logical, starting with the northernmost regions down to the southernmost regions. The appearance of the museum still looked almost the same, but additional Instagram "booths" were added. Some of the attractions were spaced farther away if they could, to encourage physical distancing. Another big change is that there are far far less employees in Lakbay Museo these days. One thing I like about Lakbay Museo is that it gives jobs to out of school youth and senior citizens. Because of the pandemic, I can understand why probably had to let go of some employees. The employees were all dressed up depending on which area/"region" they were stationed and they really helped make the museum look more alive. 

A replica of Bulacan's Barasoain Chruch.

Stealing a fried egg from the Ivatans of Batanes. (Note: Did not actual steal the fake egg, and yes, stealing is bad. Don't steal.) 

A feast in the middle of nowhere. All are fake food.

Celebrating Sinulog with these two fellasss outside a replica of Cebu's Mactan Shrine.

Can I be part of the new Avatar series now? We don't have bisons in the Philippines, but a floral carabao would do. (I checked my post from 2019 and I also did an Avatar and Appa reference to my photo with the carabado then.)

Inside an Igorot tree house with woven their products. Thank goodness the tree house did not fall when I climbed up. (Yes, there was a hut on a fake tree, and you need to climb up a ladder to get inside.) 

With "Romans" commonly seen during Marinduque's Moriones Festival. These Roman soldiers are supposed to be part of the Passion of the Christ.

- One thing that struck me the most, and I'm not sure what to feel about it, is what they did to Mayon Volcano. Mayon Volcano, located in Legazpi, Albay, is known for its conical shape and its state of activity. Originally it looked like an actual volcano with red lava. Now, it reminded me of a big mound of mixed playdough (or gum). I mean, it looks...."cute"....but I don't think it represented Mayon Volcano as well as it did in the past. They must have a reason for this change that I probably don't know about. (Shrugs.)

Ready to fly anywhere. Please. (But first, pandemic go away. PLEASEEEE.)

Mayon....Volcano??

This used to be red, representing the lava inside the Mayon Volcano. So....is the volcano now full of bubbles?

There was a parol wall beside Mayon Volcano!! Very timely as Christmas is around the corner. Also, I do love seeing parols.

- A visit to Lakbay Museo is never complete without watching their show! The only downside of going during off-peak hours is that the show tends to be shorter, and the dances performed are less and "simpler." The more elaborate dances and costumes usually come out during midday or afternoon, when they have more people. Still, it was nice to see their staff dressed in correct regional clothing, and dancing proper Philippine dances (except the ones for the modern songs of course.) I was also happy that I finally got to dance with them since they normally ask people from the audience to join them towards the end. They teach you the dance as you go along. I was also happy that I got to film my dance with them! Performing with them is a blast. I am a performer at heart and the moment I danced with them I knew I was in my element. Together with the costume I wore, I definitely felt the best and 100% me since this stupid pandemic started.

The did an Ifugao dance, the coconut shell dance, and what I think was one of the dances of the Maranao (can't remember which one.)

Inviting people to come on stage.

Little kiddo can dance! (Couldn't post the video with me dancing with them because of file size.)

Was immediately called to take a photo as I was fixing my face mask so I wasn't able to put it on. Oops. Immediately put it back on after the photo.

- My favorite rooms of the museum are the underwater-themed room representing the Visayas islands and how to protect sea life, and the Mindanao room near the exit which is a room bursting with color. The room still has the kulintang (gong xylophone) that people can try playing.

Woke up from my nap.

Ati-atihan.

Mindanao room, with one of the members of the museum staff. (He's not dressed up in a Mindanao costume though hahahaha.)

The kulintang always has this hypnotic and calming sound.

What to eat what to eat!!

Not sure what we're looking at. (Moro warrior costume in gold, and....what I think is a highly modernized Maranao costume.)

I fell then saw you. LOL.

- My visit to Lakbay Museo felt too short as I wanted to stay there the whole day. I'm not sure if it's the photos, the dancing, or the fact that I get to experience bits and pieces of the Philippines, but Lakbay Museo is definitely one of my happy places. Hoping to see Lakbay Museo grow and give more "truly Philippine" experiences within a thousand steps!   

No comments:

Post a Comment