Friday, April 15, 2022

The REALLY REALLY FREE MARKET: Yes, You Read That Right!

- April 9 & 10, 2022, Saturday and Sunday.

- Nothing in this world is free, or so it seems - until I heard about the REALLY REALLY FREE MARKET (RRFM). And yes, it is exactly what is sounds like! I honestly wasn't thinking of blogging this since I didn't expect much (hence, the lack of many photos). However, after my experience, I just knew I had to tell people all about it!

- The recent RRFM was organized by the Hub: Make Lab. They're located at the ground floor of the First United Building in Escolta Street. Apparently, this was the second one they organized this year since I didn't hear about the first one held in March. In case you wish to know about updates about the Hub: Make Lab, do check out their website and FB page (click here or here). On a regular day, it's an artist's community and has several artsy stalls that sell items mostly inspired from Manila's history and popular culture. 

- As for the RRFM, it is not actually an original concept as it has been done in many countries (you may search for videos and articles online!) The concept is easy. You may go to the bazaar and just take anything you want/need without any form of payment. You may also donate items to the bazaar without expecting anything in return. If not material things, you may contact the organizers if you wish to "donate services" instead (ex. give people a free haircut, give free tarot card readings, give a free performance, etc.) That's it! - Oh, and just make sure that the items you'll be giving away are still in good condition!

- For this round, they did it for a weekend, from 10AM to 7PM. A person can only fill up one big bag from 10AM-5PM, but you can take as many items as you want from 5PM-7PM. All extra donations will be given to charity. 

Media people were here early! Here's my friend Arabella and her friend being interviewed by GMA News.


Hello!

- On Saturday, I went in the morning and saw three tables. One for books, a long one for clothes, and a third table for shoes, accessories, and other miscellaneous items. As people come and go, I suggest reserving a whole day since donations can come at any point in the day. So if you feel that there aren't a lot of items on the table especially while it's still early in the day, just wait. Patience is key! (But so is speed, as there are a lot of fast hands that can grab any item that you have your eyes on!) I gave many old but excellent-quality clothes and books, and it was nice to see that they've been chosen by excited "treasure hunters" (as I like to call us, instead of "customers") less than a minute after I dumped my stuff on the pile of things. - What can I say, I have taste, and all my things are eye-catching. HAHA.

The "sale" pile. (Nothing's actually on sale. You just take what you like.)

- In the afternoon I saw an artist giving free art lessons, a DJ blasting a mix of old and new beats, and a singer performing his original song. There was also a couturier who was giving free alteration services for clothes that might need some adjusting! (Hello Ms. Fay!! Please check out her IG here.) I was able to have a shirt altered, and boy did she work reaaaaally fast!! I know that the spirit of the market is to not have any "exchanges" but I was so thankful that I thought of giving a box of lemon squares as a gift.

- By the end of the first day, I was able to take home a few interesting finds. The biggest thing I took home was a Japanese "happi" (festival coat). I loved the happi so much I wore it the whole day!

Wearing the happi that I got from the RRFM.


The strangest item in the pile: an ROTC sword. I was so tempted to take it home but I didn't. I had no use for it anyway.


Got all these rings + the pendant. Will just put a chain on the pendant and it's good to go.

- The next morning I once again headed to the Hub: Make Lab for day 2 of the RRFM. Unfortunately the organizers had to cancel the bazaar for the day since there was an imbalance between donors and treasure hunters. There were too many people who wanted to take stuff but there were not enough items on the piles. However, I think this is just because it was Palm Sunday and people were just busy at church. True enough, more people came later on and many even wanted to donate more items. But since the RRFM was cancelled for the day, maybe the donations will just be saved for the next RRFM. 

- Instead of moping around, I just took my time and looked at the stalls inside the Hub. One stall that caught my fancy is called Glorious Dias, and is owned by the organizers of the RRFM. It is a vintage clothing store that's mostly for ladies. They sell clothes by the kilo (1 kilo = 1000PHP), or 250PHP if per item. In the sea of ladies clothes I was able to find 4 amazing pieces. The best of all was the "hoi ching," of the Cantonese opera costume. It's rare to find these as they're often made for opera performers, and not commonly sold at stores.

This is called a "hoi ching", and this particular one is actually used by men! It's often worn by male scholarly characters. Female costumes are usually tied in front rather than the side. Unfortunately, they didn't have the matching headdress (but I have an almost fitting one at home, so it's OK I guess.)

- I later left the bazaar after my haul for the day, and had lunch with a friend in Chinatown. Although I was sad that the RRFM was cancelled on its second day, I knew I could look forward to the next one since the organizers said they were planning to do this regularly after achieving some success. Now, I'm thinking if I have more stuff to donate next time to make space for more new finds! 

No comments:

Post a Comment