Monday, November 14, 2022

Life Down Under (Part 15): Meeting Friends, Animals, and Dragons in Melbourne

- September 26-October 1, 2022, Monday to Saturday.


- The week after my birthday was filled with a mix of interesting experiences (despite having to go back to research work). I met friends over dinner, and even attended the European night market, which was a month-long celebration of European food and culture on Wednesday nights at the Queen Victoria Market. 

I was in the mood for Keith Haring that day.

Dinner with Karin!

Coop's Shot Tower, built in 1888, incorporated in the Melbourne Central Shopping Centre.

Dinner with Megan the day after!

Enjoyed a Ukrainian dance performance during the European Night Market.

- I also finally had a chance to try Panda Hot Pot, a Chinese hot pot restaurant conveniently located near my flat. Standing at the corner of Victoria Street and Cardigan Street, this restaurant was only opened in 2019 after taking over a building once occupied by a Dracula cabaret restaurant (yes, you read that right.) Today, the restaurant is known for its 1.5-ton steel dragon hanging from its ceiling. While slightly costlier than the regular hot pot restaurants around the city, the food appears to be higher in quality, and not to mention the imperial feel of the place.

This restaurant looks like it's from a video game.

My student takes nice photos.

Making the most out of my time in Panda Hot Pot.

Hi Celline!

Changing-face masks!

- That Friday, I decided to go to the Melbourne Zoo (Tram 58, Royal Melbourne Zoo stop.) The zoo has been bringing joy to Melburnians and other visitors since 1862. Apart from the animals I really enjoyed with their art installations that people can play around with!

Baboons

Kokkaburra.

Sleeping koala.

Wombat!

Giraffes.

Platypus!

Philippine crocodile.

Surrealist. (And no, that ain't a real frog.)

Lions are forever majestic.

Snow leopard.

I'm not a cat person but this random "Cat Alley" just made me laugh. Took the opportunity to post like the disaster 2019 film, "Cats." I didn't have cat ears with me, but I guess the kangaroo ears I had in my bag was good enough.

Happy 160 years, Melbourne Zoo!

My first time in a (replica) tortoise shell.

The real tortoise.

Never been this close to a lemur before!

Elephants!

An impromptu dinner with Karin after my trip to the zoo, because we were both craving for Korean BBQ.

- To cap off my week, I had a surprising visit from friends Abigail and Leon all the way from Adelaide! They came to Melbourne for the long weekend to see friends and family. Abigail said she wanted to pray at the Taoist temple in Footscray, so we agreed to meet there. During my first trip to Footscray (see here), I didn't have time to visit the temple, so I was glad that I had an excuse to visit it. 

With the statue of Mazu.

Temple gate.

Main temple hall.

Another photo with the goddess Mazu.

- The Heavenly Queen Temple was opened in 2015, but only completed in 2020. It is named after the Heavenly Queen, the goddess Mazu. Mazu is known as the protector of fishermen and seafarers, and is partly why she has a big following among overseas Chinese. The statue of Mazu can often be seen from the trains passing by or going to Footscray. 

Entering one of the temple's newest halls.

From the outside.

With a wishing tree.

Every corner of this temple is fit for Instagram.

Abigail inside the main hall.

With Leon and Abi, straight from Adelaide!

- Abi, Leon, and I briefly went around the shops and restaurants of Footscray to look for something to bring to a friend's house for dinner that night. We all had a wonderful evening, with good food, stories, and laughter. These, and all my experiences in the past week, were good fuels for my next adventure in Australia!

No comments:

Post a Comment