Monday, January 9, 2023

Life Down Under (Part 25): A Look at Launceston's History

- November 2-4, 2022, Wednesday to Friday.

- It isn't hard to fall in love with Launceston. Everything is easily reached by foot, it is calm but not too quiet, and it is filled with small historical and natural places to explore. My only concern was that it was so easy to visit everywhere that one need not spend a lot of time in Launceston. As relaxing as Launceston is, it can easily be boring for some after seeing what they need to see. I felt pretty bad (and guilty) for sort of feeling bored at times because it isn't as busy as the bigger cities. However, at the end of the day, I still love Launceston.

- I ended my last post with a trip to Cataract Gorge, as part of my day tour with Discover Australian Tours. I loved Cataract Gorge so much that I thought of visiting it again so I can take more photos and enjoy the place a bit longer than the day before. Even the way to Cataract Gorge was scenic from the city. 

Can you see the gatekeeper's toll booth and the Kings Bridge Cottage (which serves as the gatekeeper's residence.)

Not sure what tree this is but it definitely was everyone's favorite. Oh, and look at the little peacock behind me!

I really want to take one home.

A peacock and a peahen hiding behind bushes.

- Cataract Gorge was a popular place to hang out in the 1800s, and ladies would even wash their laundry there. But aside from that, the strong waters was also used for hydroelectric power even back in the late 1800s. Because of that, Launceston became the first city in the Southern Hemisphere to have hydroelectric power.

The token shot. Again, usually it's best to go behind the peacock so it won't immediately see you.

Rock wallaby.

Alexandra Suspension Bridge.

Had to take this quickly since people had to cross.

View of the gorge from flat ground.

A peacock and peahen.

I just love peacocks.

Looks like a Chinese painting.

View of Kings Bridge from the walkway.

See those two people? They're taking the zigzag path going to Cataract Gorge. It might look short in the map but it has a challenging terrain!

- Right beside Cataract Gorge is Penny Royal Adventures. As a theme park, it initially opened in the 1970s and has several activities for people to experience a bit of how life was in the Gold Rush Era in the 1800s. However, the idea to make this place a theme park rose from discovering bricks from buildings that used to stand in that same era! The good thing about this park is that while the activities need prior bookings and reservations, the park is always open even on days that the activities are not available. (The restaurant is regularly open though!) I went on a day that the park was not operating, so I had the park all to myself!

Penny Royal!

It is empty and it looks like photoshoot paradise for me. (There were a couple of other visitors, but it was virtually empty since the park's activities were closed that day.)

Waterfall!

With some cannons.

Arrested for being too cute.

With Brig Tamar.

Right across Penny Royal is a stunning view of Kings Bridge and the cottage behind the bridge.

Penny Royal Watermils, right beside Penny Royal. The windmill is now part of Leisure Inn.

The old mill that was turned into hotel rooms and restaurants/cafes.

- That afternoon I had a bit to stroll and shop at Brisbane Street Mall, then stumbled upon Brisbane Arcade. Built in 1924, it is the oldest shopping arcade in Launceston. It has multiple stories with shops that, I think, are more focused on artsy stuff. There were some small galleries too.

Like entering a magical place.

Please read.

Building facade.

- The next morning I headed back to Inveresk to visit the Launceston Tramway Museum. The small museum was built in the 1990s after efforts were started to restore Launceston's former trams. The museum is located in a tram workshop, which makes the museum all the more immersive!

Tram workshops.

Inside an old tram.

Charming.

 I love the colors.

Tram conductor hats.

- I later visited Boag's Brewery along William Street. It is one of the most well-respected breweries in Australia. Founded in the 1800s, the brewery has been under the ownership of many corporations (I found out that this included the Philippines' very own San Miguel Corporation in the early 2000s!). Despite that, all their beers are made in-house in Launceston, and still produce some of the best beers in Australia.

Hidden behind the trees. This actually isn't the brewery but the restaurant + the museum. The actual brewery is across the street. The tours commence in this building though.

Giant inflatable beer can. Also, we were asked to wear safety vests and goggles during the tour.

- One can join the brewery tour (no photography allowed during the tour), either by booking a tour online or through the brewery reception. I came as a walk-in client and thankfully there was still a slot for me. The tour itself was around an hour long, and although I'm not really a beer person, it was nice to know how beer was made in Australia. At the end of the tour, we were given a chance to try some of the beers that they make! 

At the museum, some items from the brewery's past.

Brewery.

You can see a little bit of what goes inside! The tour takes you inside these buildings.

James Boag's old house.

- That afternoon I had a really really chill time just walking around Launceston. I even watched a movie because I had so much time to spare. (I watched Black Adam!) 

Ahhhh, downtown Launceston.

- The next morning I took a Tasmanian Redine bus from the Launceston Transit Centre (corner of St. John Street and Cimitiere Street) all the way to Hobart. Tickets can be bought at the Transit Centre or booked beforehand through the website. I strongly suggest booking earlier whether through the website (preferred1) or personally. Bus trips are regular though.

I'll miss this Civic Centre view of downtown Launceston.

Again with the tasmanian wolves and the town hall.

My bus to Hobart.

- I wasn't sure how to feel about leaving Launceston. I'm sure it's not a city I'd like to stay in for a long time because it's just so far away and not as bustling as a big Australian city like Melbourne or Sydney. However, Launceston was absolutely one of my favorite cities in Australia. It had so much culture and history, everything and everywhere were easy to reach (if staying in the city center), and had stunning views of nature (even better during lavender season!) I hope I'll have the chance to go back to Launceston again some day, even though it's quite far since it's in one of the most southern islands in the world! However, next stop is Hobart!

No comments:

Post a Comment