Saturday, July 4, 2009

The Sudden Adventure: Yuchengco Museum (For Philo Class :D:D:D:D)




- July 4, 2009, Saturday

- I wasn't supposed to go to Yuchengco today, because I'm still a bit tired from yesterday's mega-walkathon-adventure. I decided to go this morning since it would be a perfect excuse for another adventure and an opportunity to visit the Yuchengco Museum for free, (the entrance fees during regular days are a bit pricy) and a chance to get some handy bonus points for my philo class under Dr. Leovino Garcia.

- Today's agenda was all about the emergence of the Philippines in old maps. The talk by Dr. Garcia was all about maps, maps, and yes, more maps. :D:D:D:D I bet Dora would've liked the talk if she were real.

- My random afternoon in Yuchengco started when I arrived at the venue with only a handful of people, including Dr. G himself, some museum people and a few Ateneans (presumably classmates in philo class or from the other section under Dr. G as well.) I also met Rica and her parents.

- After setting up the powerpoint for the talk, I guess Doc G was bored, so he offered to tour me, along with Rica and her parents to the third floor, where the map exhibit was located. Without rushing, Doc G explained as much as he could about how the Philippines gradually appeared on Western maps. Pretty interesting stuff. :) :) :) :) *really honored to be toured around by Doc Garcia. Hehe*

- At one point, Doc G also pointed out that Japan looked liked a kite or a potato on some maps. I noticed that one of Doc G's favorite word is "potato". Not only did I hear it several times today (pertaining to Japan....no offense to the Japanese), but he also used the word potato in many instances during his lectures in class. I found the "potato" thing really funny since it reminded me of my favorite Dora episode. Hahahaha. *please don't mind my Doraness*

- One map made by an Italian who obviously had never gone to the Philippines painted an image of a typical Philippine barrio. Guess what, the "Philippine barrio" looked like a typical Tuscan countryside. Hahahaha. *Dear Italian map maker....if you want to do a picture of something not-Italian, please make sure that you know exactly what you're about to draw. If you don't, Ms. Stephanie Coo, my Asian history teacher, will tell you to get your facts straight, and punch you like how she punched the Indonesian money changer who cheated her. Hahahaha.*
- After looking at the old map exhibit (in collaboration with the Philippine Map Collectors Society), we also spent a few moments looking at the exhibit of mantons by Manton de Manila (loveeeed this exhibit) and the Chinese exhibit about the Yuchengcos.

- I wanted to steal some of the exhibits, especially the mantons, because they were really really lovely. Mantons, especially the ones with long long fringes, are the ones that I really wanted to see being used in flamenco when watching flamenco videos on youtube. :D:D:D:D

- Later on, it was time for us to go back to the ground floor to get ready for the talk. Danica came just in time for the talk. Yey Danica!! :D:D:D:D

- The whole talk lasted about an hour. It contained really neat stuff. The whole talk meant a whole lot to me, since I am interested in archaeology, geography and travel. (Gilbert the Explorert nga. Haha)

- After the whole talk, Doc Garcia announced that merienda would be served to us. Obviously, I was excited. :D:D:D:D Since the meriendas were still prepared, he invited the whole group to the third floor to look at the map exhibit, as well as the other exhibits. One of the exhibits showed old economic documents. This made Danica's day (worse). HAHA. *Danica, hindi ka talaga tatantanan ng Economics....course mo kasi eh. hahahaha*

- I also told Danica about how much I wanted to "steal" the pretty manton exhibits and a nicely carved Chinese fan. She told me to supress my Swiper urges and said "Gilbert, I don't want you to go to jail this early. Maybe you can go to jail when you're 80 or something." HAHAHAHA. THANKS DANICA. :)) :)) :)) :))

- Later on, echoes were heard that merienda was already served. Danica and I dashed downstairs. To our surprise....the "merienda" Doc G was talking about were Dulcinea pastries, not to mention churros con chocolate. I ate around 2.5 boxes of churros (2 boxes plus half of Danica's....since she was a bit full, according to her.) Aside from that, I also tasted (or was it more than just "tasting") the other pastries.

- Lesson learned. TOO MANY CHURROS WILL UPSET YOUR STOMACH. Hahahaha :D:D:D:D Well they didn't really "upset" my tummy....they just weighed me down. Hahahaha.

- I'm really glad I went to today's talk. Definitely worth it....especially the bonus points for philo. Hahahaha. :D:D:D:D

2 comments:

  1. Why'd you guys go to a museum for philo? :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Dr. Garcia had a talk about antique maps. I'm not sure if it had anything to do with philo (I really thing it didn't). Since he's my prof and all, he said he'd be giving out bonus points if we attended his talk. Hahahaha. Well it was an interesting talk, so it was worth it anyway. Hahahaha.

    ReplyDelete