Saturday, April 16, 2011

It's Books And Roses Time Once Again!!: El Dia del Libro 2011 (And A Rather Food-Filled After-Event)




- April 16, 2011, Saturday.

- Once again, Spain and Instituto Cervantes centers around the world are celebrating the annual book fair. As a tradition, roses are given for each purchase of books. Aside from the book selling, other Spanish/Instituto-related stuff are being offered.

- Today, I went to Instituto with Charmaine and Abi. Upon arriving at the Instituto around 10:30am, I was a bit surprised at the rather quiet ambiance despite the big number of people there. We immediately signed up for the guided tour around the Instituto grounds, and a 30-minute Spanish demo class in the early afternoon.

- We soon proceeded to the main patio, where the book fair was. While Abi and Charmaine were looking for (English) books, I ran around trying to look for people I worked with last year for my OJT. I'm happy that they remembered me. Haha.

- At around 11am, our guided tour of the Instituto started. Our guide so no other than TJ, the journalist of the Instituto. I used to work with him. He's nice and funny. :D:D:D:D

- The short tour ended with grumbling stomachs, so we decided to have lunch. We bought food from the Alba's stall, since it was not as expensive as the other stalls, but people could still have high-quality and authentic Spanish dishes.

- After lunch, we went around the book fair once again, where I was able to buy two books. I was also able to see some Ateneans I knew, and a lot more Ateneans who I didn't know. Haha. We also witnessed a percussion exhibition. Although no one was dancing while the exhibition went on, I could tell that most if not all, were really itching to dance - including me.

- We waited and waited for our 1:30 Spanish class, but we found out that the class was "overbooked." Knowing this, Charmaine just told Abi that I'll teach her basic Spanish. Haha.

- The three of us journeyed to the Manila Museum (Museo ng Maynila,) which is located beside the Seafood Wharf (near the Ocean Park.) We thought the museum was closed since the gates were closed, but we soon found out from a government official who passed by that the museum was condemned. Tsk tsk tsk tsk. Shame shame.

- Instead of having long faces, I invited my companions to eat at Manila Ocean Park's Makan Makan. Makan Makan used to be the Singapore franchised Makansutra, but I'm not sure why the name was changed. The dishes served were still the same, the personnel, as well as the prices of the dishes. On the way to the restaurant, we stopped by at the Asian Food Museum. There was no entrance fee, and seemed to have nothing much inside, but we enjoyed learning and playing around with some stuff.

- The three of us had a refreshing Asian snack at Makan Makan, since we all ordered stuff from the dessert page. While eating, we also talked about hopefully future adventure plans, as well as other random things that suddenly popped out of our tired brains. Pretty soon, we all decided to go home instead.

- The Extension Trip: While my day was supposed to be pretty much over, I still had to drop by at my friend Clarisse' house to pick up a box of cupcakes she made. Clarisse has been baking A LOT recently, and I was fortunate that she chose me as one of the people (apart from her family) who'd get to try her pastries.

- I wasn't surprised when I saw Clarisse and her youngest brother Wilbert baking when I arrived at her house. I sat beside the kitchen table, and chatted with her while she mixed, whipped, folded, and kneaded. After baking pastries, she also took great efforts to take artsy shorts of her pastries for her food blog. I assisted her during the photoshoot by blocking out the sun. Here's to being fat. HAHA.

- While later munching on her pastries, we also got to talk about too many things. I haven't gotten in touch with Clarisse for some time now, aside from Twitter, since she was busy with work. At least I got to see her today, and got to take home a box of cupcakes and a small bag of cookies. YAY FOR PASTRIES!!

- Overall, I thought that this year's Dia was still awesome despite the rather unusual un-busy-ness of the people in the event. Yey for more elbow space though. Aside from that, I am also glad that I was able to have some private time with my two comapanions, and ultimately, a pastry-loaded late afternoon with my friend Clarisse. Yey to more Dias, friends, and pastries!! :D:D:D:D

No comments:

Post a Comment