Tuesday, June 18, 2013

When Paths Cross: Talks on Boundary Issues, Maritime Interests, and an "Old Friend"

- June 18, 2013, Tuesday.

- The UP Asian Center, in cooperation with the Magna Carta, was fortunate to be able to invite Retired Major General Vinod Saighal from India, to give a talk on the growing maritime interest of India in Southeast Asia. Major General Saighal had just arrived from India yesterday, although he looked far from tired when we saw him this afternoon. He was a very tall guy.



- The forum was attended by many distinguished guests from the different embassies and relevant organizations. Former Philippine Senator Shahani was also present. Scholars and academics from different universities, both local and international, packed the event.

My adviser and professor, Dr. Joefe Santarita.

Major General Saighal.

Representative from the Magna Carta.
- His Excellency Amit Dasgupta, ambassador of the Republic of India to the Philippines, was able to make it during the first quarter of the event. He sat a few seats away from me, and I was able to say a quick hello to him. I was glad and honored that he remembered me, at least by face - but that's more than enough.

With His Excellency.
- The talk surprisingly focused on China and its role in Indian international relations, as well as the territorial disputes in both India and Southeast Asia. The talk was very technical, so much so that I had to force myself to grasp an overload of information in a span of two hours. Still, I learned a lot from Major General Saighal, and the other speakers.

With Major General Saighal.
With former Senator Shahani.
- Snacks were served in the Philippine Hall after the informative forum, and I was able to interact with the Major General, as well as Mr. Tashi Phuntsok, secretary of the Department of Information and International Relations of Tibet, who is currently based in Dharamsala, Himachal Pradesh, in India. Mr. Phuntsok gave me a CD with "everything about Tibet" in it, and was happy to hear me speak some Tibetan (and trust me, I can't speak Tibetan to save my life.) I do hope (wish, pray) that I get to visit Tibet some day. It is such a wonderful and magical place to go to.

- My evening class was cancelled because my professor decided to, since he had to entertain, and deal with our international guests, and fortunately so, since the rain tonight has poured more than cats and dogs -- more like pigs and camels.

No comments:

Post a Comment