Wednesday, January 29, 2014

My Year in CKSC's English Society

- January 29, 2014, Wednesday.

- This school year, apart from struggling with graduate school and other project-based jobs here and there, I spent some of my free time going back to my alma mater to help out in their new club called "The English Society of CKSC." It is a spin-off from the school's so-far defunct and long-running theater gruop, MASCKS. There was a hiatus last year, and this year, in order to have a transition club before the theater group will be reinstated next school year, the English Society was born. We had some sessions before the English Department decided to have a contest that will also serve as the culminating activity of the English Society.

- Today, the contest was held at the auditorium; it was a literary-themed pageant named "The Ambassador and Ambassadress of English." There were two categories: the dramatic monologue, and the romantic dialogue. On my part, I headed the intermission number, which was a feminist mini-play that honored the governesses' roles in stories. I picked out three nanny-themed stories, Mary Poppins, The Sound of Music, and The King and I, had some excerpts, with Mary, Maria, and Anna having a conversation on their roles as governesses in their respective stories, and their wider significance in society.

- The whole event went well, and after some time, I onced again had the feeling of relief after a good performance. My body missed that so much. (Of course, I missed performing as a whole.) Not only am I happy right now that the students performed well after months of hard practices - it's especially difficult with many new-comers, despite a few members coming from the old theater group - but I am happier because I was able to impart my knowledge and experience to many talented beings, and I do hope that they learned some things from me.

- Here are the photos from this year's English Society.















































































































































































No comments:

Post a Comment