Wednesday, January 23, 2019

(Part 3) The Hills Are Alive in Salzburg: The Von Trapp House and The House of Puppets!!

- December 26, 2018, Wednesday.

- Salzburg may looks like a small compact city, and it is, but who would have thought that a tiny city can pack so many things to see and do - even during the winter holidays!! While most people decide to stay in Salzburg for a day or two, I was glad that I had one more day to spare since there were more things that I wished to see in Salzburg - the city made famous by "The Sound of Music."

- Although I had covered many of the places where "The Sound of Music" filmed (click Part 1 here, and Part 2 here), there was still one important landmark that I had not yet visited - the Frohnburg Palace. The facade of this former palace was used as the front side of the Von Trapp house in the movie, while the lake-facing backside of the Leopoldskron Palace was used as the backside of the Von Trapp house in the film. In short, two different palaces were used to show the Von Trapp house in the film (you can add in a third if you count the gazebo used in "Sixteen Going on Seventeen," which is currently located at Hellbrunn Palace.)

The Von Trapp Mansion Frohnburg Mansion.
I was told that I looked like one 
- The Frohnburg Palace was a summer palace in the 1600s. Currently it serves as one of the buildings of University Mozarteum, a school that teaches various forms of performing arts. As it is currently private property, people cannot enter the building unless they're studying or working there, or watching a performance in their auditorium. The pale yellow wall outside the former palace is a favorite photo spot by "The Sound of Music" fans because it was where the newly-hired Maria (played by Julie Andrews) sang the last few verses of the song "I Have Confidence" and danced with her big guitar on one hand and small bag of clothes in the other. By the way, this palace is located south of the city, between the downtown and Hellbrunn Palace further south; this is why it is often overlooked by tourists except for die-hard Sound-of-Music fans like me. It can be reached by riding a bus that reaches the Polizeidirektion bus stop (Bus 28, O-bus 3, O-bus 8).

"I have confidence in sunshine, I have confidence in rain, I have confidence that spring will come again - you'll have to agree I have confidence in me!!"
KNOCK KNOCK CAPTAIN VON TRAPP KNOCK KNOCK.
- After taking some photos outside the Frohnburg Palace, I rode the O-bus 3 back to the downtown area (closest stop is Mozartsteg stop if going to the downtown from the Frohnburg Palace). I cannot seem to get tired of the downtown area with all its maze-like streets, compact public squares, and colorful buildings. This time, I visited the Dom Quartier, which is the combined areas of the 12th-century Residenz (archbishop's residence) and the Salzburg Cathedral. Although the buildings do not look impressive form the outside, the winding halls that go up, down, around, in, and out (!!!!) make a visit to the Dom Quartier an adventurous (and time-consuming) one. Unfortunately, photography is not allowed inside; I was only able to take photos at the terrace that gives a festive view of both Residenzplaz and Domplatz, as well as the view from the second floor balcony of the Salzburg Cathedral overlooking the main prayer hall.         

Streets of Salzburg.
Domplatz.
Residenzplatz.
The Residenz from the outside. (Look at the creepy faces in the windows.)
From the Salzburg Cathedral's balcony.
Giant church organ.
- Next, I went behind the Salzburg Cathedral to visit the Salzburg Museum. The Salzburg Museum shows the city's history and artifacts such as antique musical instruments to Nazi-era objects. My favorite part of the museum was the well-preserved "stube" or farmhouse parlour or "stube" dating back to the 1400s.

A perfect museum for those interested in classical instruments.
Zither.
It is a giant old-school organ.
Theater costumes.
Fancy dining.
Roman era.
A perfectly preserved stube.
- That early afternoon, I decided to go to take a hike right after my light lunch. Although I visited the Hohensalzburg Fort on my first day in Salzburg (click for Part 1 here), I thought of going up by foot instead of the Festungbahn/funicular, and visiting other areas of the fort that I had not seen, as well as the Marionette Museum which I missed during my first visit. It was in a hurry during my first day because of the rain and the holiday schedule of all attractions in Salzburg (i.e. they would close way earlier than the usual.) The walk up was difficult because the path was inclined; if you plan to visit, make sure you have good walking shoes, and not right after eating a a meal!! However, the fort was a pleasant place to visit on a rather sunny day; I was still glad that I visited it a second time.

I am back!!
Sunny Salzburg.

Marionette Museum.
I noticed how Germans and Austrians love making scary-looking marionettes.
Marionettes based on the real appearances of the Von Trapp family.
Historical marionettes depicting historical events.
A marionette's anatomy.
OH LOOK!! The actual marionettes used for Mozart's "The Magic Flute"!!

Stairs.

- After my hike, I took the O-Bus 3 back to Salzburg Hauptbahnhof (main train station), and ended my day out early. I felt that I had seen pretty much all of what I wanted to see and experience in Salzburg, and decided to have some much needed rest. After all, I had to make sure that my things were ready for the last leg of my holiday trip - the Austrian capital city of Vienna!!

- Please don't forget to read about my other adventures in Germany, Austria, and Slovakia here:

GERMANY:

Berlin and Potsdam: Part 1 here, Part 2 here, Part 3 here, Part 4 here

Munich and Schwangau:  Part 1 here, Part 2 here, Part 3 here, Part 4 here

AUSTRIA:

Salzburg: Part 1 here, Part 2 here

Vienna: Part 1 here, Part 2 here, Part 3 here

SLOVAKIA:

Bratislava: Click here

No comments:

Post a Comment