Tuesday, January 9, 2024

Home for the Holidays (Part 1): Bangar and Luna, La Union

- Dec. 23-25, 2023, Saturday to Monday.

- Since my last series in Japan (which isn't a long time ago), a lot has happened in my life. The most significant being the passing of my mom. Since we're one less person in the family now, we decided to spend the holidays in the province so my sibling and I can spend more time with our dad. For me, personally, it was a chance to see the province again after not being there for so long.

- On the 23rd, we left Manila early in the morning to go to Bangar, La Union, where our store is. Along the way, my dad was kind enough to have a brief stopover at the Sikh Temple (gurudwara) in San Fernando, La Union. My dad has mentioned this temple to me for many years now, but this was my first time to visit it. For the longest time, the gurudwara here in Manila has been the only gurudwara in the country, until the past decade when more Hindu and Sikh temples across the country have been built. This is officially the first gurudwara outside Metro Manila that I have visited, and the third in the Philippines, after Manila and Marikina.

Shri Guru Nanak Niwas Temple.

Stained glass window from the inside. This is an image of Guru Nanak Dev Ji, the founder of Sikhism.

Main prayer hall.

Instruments for kirtans.

Image of Guru Nanak at the langar.

- After having some chai and mithai (tea and Indian sweets) with the volunteer at the gurudwara, we went ahead to Bangar, which wasn't too far away from San Fernando. Not long after settling down, we had dinner. While the rest of the family called it a night, I still had much energy to explore and absorb the festive energy of Christmas in the province. That night I went around the plaza and the town carnival. They were exactly how I wanted them to be: cozy, colorful, and chaotic. (Yes, I think there is such as thing as a cozy kind of chaos. It's the same feeling I have when going around the streets of Chinatown in Manila.)

Plaza.

Giant tree.

At the carnival.

I'm intrigued by these little games.

I honestly stick out like a sore thumb. They just know I'm not from there.

HAHAHAHA. You ride this train inside the horror house.

Bangar Arch.

- On the 24th I had a chance to visit De Castro's Loom Weaving, one of the prominent weaving centers of inabel fabric in the Ilocos Region. Since it was the holidays, the weavers were not in their stations so I was not able to interact with them. However, I was still able to get some inabel products from their store!

I love their colorful weaves!

See the design.

Like the colors of the rainbow!

King-sized blankets.

Visit them in Bangar!

Weaving looms.

Too bad there wasn't anyone there.

Here is Ms. Lucia, putting fringes on the white blanket.

- I did not do much for the rest of the day, although the family was able to have a hearty meal to welcome Christmas later that night. I didn't think of doing much on Christmas since I figured most places would be closed. Boy was I wrong.

- I thought of visiting the Luna Watchtower, also known as "baluarte", which refers to some kind of fortification. The Luna Watchtower is a 400-year-old tower (or what's left of it) during the Spanish era. As most watchtowers, it was used to see if any danger was coming, like pirates or forces of nature.

- There were so many tourists at the watchtower and it was nearly impossible to take a nice photo because it was also during the peak time of the afternoon. Gladly I was still able to take nice photos, and even meet one of my friends there! By the way, there are also locals who will offer to take photos of you with the baluarte. When they approach you, try to see if they're legit or not (because they're not official employees). If you see that they seem to have customers, then it's most likely safe to give your camera or phone to them. These people don't charge a specific amount; they live on tips. I gave the lady a nice tip because she was able to take photos EXACTLY the way I wanted, and many other shots with her own style. I was frankly impressed!

Baluarte from the back.

Fancy seeing you here, Cathy!

Inside the baluarte.

Photo by one of the "photographers" in the area.

I mean just look at that nice shot.

We were asked to do a "candid" shot.

This is just me again, from the back.

From the front side.

The very rocky beach in the baluarte area. More on the rocks in a bit.

- My friend Cathy told me that Bahay na Bato ("House of Rocks") was open on Christmas, and it was a place I really wanted to visit again. Last year, my family went to Bangar for New Year's and we visited this place. I didn't know this existed, so I wasn't prepared. I only took photos of my mom, who really enjoyed it there. It was one of my last few travel memories with her. This year, I made it a point to have my own photos in this place. Bahay na Bato was only a few kilometers away from the baluarte, around a 5-minute drive. 

- "Bahay na Bato" was a rest house owned by doctors until they hired Korean stone and wood artist Bong Kim to create artworks for the house. The house and its surrounding area are now surrounded by endless rock and pebble mosaics, sculptures, you name it. The rocks are all from the beach in front of the house. "Bahay na Bato" opened to the public in 2015. Part of it is open today for accommodations, and the place can also be rented for events. It reminds me a little bit of Pinto Art Gallery in Rizal (see here).

Here we are!

I like the idea of the room, but there were just too many rocks haha.

Balcony at the second floor.

A mix of color, wood, and rocks.

Ground floor, what I gues used to be the living room?

The full moon was huge that day.

Chill by the beach.

Another cottage also served as a "museum" with plenty of local artefacts displayed in an artistic way. 

Mosaic floors. I love the giant squid.

Another cottage full of rocks.

- I spent so much time walking around and taking many many photos of myself. As expected it was also crowded with tourists. But hey, at least I was still able to enjoy myself, and I didn't spend my Christmas idle!

- My first few days in the province proved more exciting than I thought they would be, and the fun was just beginning. The next leg of my adventures was one I looked for ward to the most - Vigan City!

No comments:

Post a Comment