Friday, January 12, 2024

Home for the Holidays (Part 3): More of Vigan City and Neighboring Bantay

- Dec. 28-29, 2023, Thursday to Friday.

- Vigan is a small city that has seen so much history - and many remnants of that history can still be seen today. This is Vigan's appeal. 

- On my second full day in Vigan, I started my day by visiting the Vigan Cathedral, also known as St. Paul Cathedral. It was completed in 1800 and made in the earthquake baroque style, a common architectural style in the Philippines during the Spanish colonial era. Unfortunately, it is currently having its facelift after the big earthquake that took place in July 2022, which damaged many buildings in the region.

I don't know why but this photo makes me feel like this is somewhere in Latin America.

A statue of Jose Rizal at the Salcedo Plaza.

Because why not.

Because why not Part 2.

- I find the cathedral unique as it has two plazas in its vicinity instead of one: the Salcedo Plaza (in front of the cathedral, where Gabriela Silang was hanged, and where there is a nightly dancing lights show) and the Burgos Plaza (in honor of Father Jose Burgos).  

Burgos Plaza. (This place, by the way, is known for its empanada stalls. The stalls can't be seen in this photo but you'll immediately see them once you go to the plaza.)

The McDonald's in Vigan was made "hispanic", architecturally.

The archbishop's residence, located beside the cathedral, and known for its museum of religious artifacts. Unfortunately it's currently closed, also because of the earthquake. 

- From the plaza I rode a tricycle to the adjacent municipality of Bantay, specifically to the Bantay Church. Although it was actually walkable (around a kilometer,) the sun was just too strong. At least I didn't arrive drenched in sweat.

- The Bantay Church was built in 1590, and is known for its hilltop belfry that also acts as a watchtower. Because of this watchtower, the municipality of Bantay got its name, from the Filipino word "bantay" or "to guard."

Bantay Tower.

I looks amazing, but also incredibly unsafe because of all the cracks.

Like in the Luna watchtower, there are church staff (at least it's more "legit" here), who volunteer to take nice photos of you. Payment is also by tips. Because this guy took many nice photos of me, and made sure there were no photobombers, I gave him a nice tip.

Inside Bantay Church.

Scaffolding, and a little bit of Bantay Church.

- The church is also having a "facelift", and the watchtower is also off limits. However, guests can see the watchtower from the gate. In the past, people could actually go near or even up the tower. Currently, it is unsafe because of the damages from the earthquake.

- From the church I rode the same tricycle back to Vigan, and took some photos in front of the Burgos House and the Old Carcel, which I wasn't able to do the day before as there were too many people. I then spent the rest of the morning "doing my rounds" in Calle Crisologo (because really, what's not to love about this street, day or night.) I also did another calesa ride, because I wanted to do it during the day this time, and to see just in case I wasn't able to visit anything else. 

Crisologo's "quieter" end.

My calesa ride.

Trying to hide from the heat.

Calesa parking behind Burgos Plaza.

- I had lunch in our Vigan home before visiting Mira Hill in the afternoon. Mira Hill is a hill-top children's park that was unfortunately left to age poorly. I wanted to visit Mira Hill because I saw during my morning calesa ride that there is apparently a "Buridek Children's Museum" that I wasn't able to come across during my trip preparation before going to Ilocos. Apparently, this children's museum is also not operating as it was a project by the former mayor. (Sigh, the wonders of politics.) However, I would like to thank the caretaker for telling us to "check it out" to see if we're interested. The museum was built inside several small cottages, and had no locks, so we were able to peek inside. Some of them had power, so we were allowed to turn on the lights. Over all, I think I had a nice visit, but I really wished that they were able to maintain this nice museum of children!

At the children's museum. I still wonder why they let this state of a pig do manual labor haha.

One of the highlights of the Buridek Children's Museum is its miniature sites of Vigan.

The main "cottage".

I dare not get on that calesa.

My new family. HAHA.

- I spent the rest of the afternoon in Hidden Garden, which is quite far from the city center, along Bulala Street. Hidden Garden opened in 1991, and is a place where one can appreciate quirky artwork, buy plants and some local products, as well as eat in their restaurant/cafe. (Please take note that their food can take an infinity to arrive, especially during peak hours, even for the simplest meal. So maybe just do the first two instead.) 

Hidden Garden.

Many famous people have visited.

Some of their displays.

There are a few of these large-lipped sculptures across the property.

For my non-Filipino-speaking friends: "Your mouth will look like this if you're a gossipmonger."

Truly a magical place.

"Poqui poqui" may sound inappropriate in Filipino, but in Ilocano, "poqui poqui" refers to this eggplant dish in the photo.

Surrounded by bonsai.

Plants for sale.

Pretending I'm in Thailand (which, by the way, I miss a lot.)

A "jazz singer."

A few steps away from the Hidden Garden is its extension, which is a small events place. For some reason, it is Japanese themed.

Wasn't I just in Japan? HAHA.

- That night my family, some of our staff, as well as some family friends had a boodle fight dinner (my "training" in eating Indian food with my hand came in handy). The following morning, I had another tour, this time more complete, of the Baluarte Zoo because why not, right? I was already there anyway. This was the last major thing I did in Vigan before I left the city.

Again with the giraffe and the deer.

Giraffes are....really huge.

Had a photo with a sleepy white lion.

A piece of the Cordilleras. By the way, this photo reminds me of the photos I took in Uluru (Ayer's Rock) in Australia, particularly of Katatjuta! (See here).

At the rooftop of Chavit Singson's golden mansion, which is open to tourists.

Peacocks, because peacocks.

I met my student there. I asked her about my thesis. She nearly ran away.

Snake.

Camel.

My new ostrich friend.

Obviously, cannot go inside.

Oh, I had pinakbet pizza for lunch that day, it was my last lunch in Vigan. We picked this up from Cafe Leona, which is located in Calle Crisologo. We didn't eat there because there were too many people.

- Vigan is a place with so many memories, a lot more than I thought I did. Despite some places either closed or under renovation, I felt that it was about time that I revisited a part of my childhood. If not for the long long distance to go to Vigan, I would love to go there more frequently. It may look similarly to Manila's Intramuros, but Vigan has a cozier feel, while Intramuros has a grander feel. Anyway, this wraps up my trip to Vigan for now, yet the Ilocos adventure for this trip does not stop here!

No comments:

Post a Comment