Sunday, April 7, 2024

Spring in Tokyo (Part 1): Shinjuku, Shibuya, Super Sentai, and Sakura

- March 24-25, 2024, Sunday to Monday.

- After years of planning for a family trip to Japan, it finally happened, albeit without my mom. My dad wanted this to happen for a long while now, because my parents' first trip abroad as a married couple was their vacation in Tokyo some decades back. He wanted a "trip" down memory lane with the whole family. Sadly, my mom couldn't come since her passing, but at least we made it happen for dad. For my mom, at least she was able to go back to Japan for a visit in 2013 when we joined a tour (but without dad).

HELLO AGAIN JAPAN.

- Spring is often a favorite among tourists to visit Japan because of the cherry blossom flowers or "sakura" that show their colors for a short time in spring. That's why the moment we settled down after arriving on the 24th, we tried our best to look for pink sakura flowers at the Shinjuku Gyoen, which is an imperial garden since 1906. It has several gates, which can be accessed from Shinjuku Station, Shinjuku Gyoenmae Station, or Sendagaya Station. (** Speaking of trains: Tokyo normally has its own Suica and Pasmo Cards, but as of writing, they're currently not yet available. Because the Suica and Pasmo cards aren't available, one would need to buy a one-day or three-day ticket. HOWEVER, other IC cards, like my ICOCA card from the Kansai region, can be used in Tokyo. Likewise, Suica and Pasmo cards, for those who were able to buy previously, can be used in Kansai as well.)

- Fortunately, we were able to catch the park open, and the sakura flowers in bloom. Shortly after taking our photos, it started to drizzle, but at least it wasn't that bad. We walked out the Shinjuku Gate and explored the rest of Shinjuku.

Of course I had to wear my kimono!

I'm so happy to see sakura flowers again!

I like how they look like little Potchi candies (if you live in the Philippines you probably know what Potchi candies are.)

Look at the detail.

Intermingling trees.

More flowers.

In full bloom.

- We passed by the Godzilla Head at Shinjuku Toho Building in Kabukicho, before having dinner at Ichiran, as per my dad's request. We also spent some time looking at the Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building (Tocohomae Station) to see the world's largest  mapping show. (Mapping is the use of irregular objects  like buildings - as canvasses for image/video projections.)

Oh no Godzillaaaaa.

It sometimes has lights or blows smoke.

Ichiran.

Mapping show at the Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building.

- Our first day was short but eventful, since we didn't waste time after arriving at our hotel mid-afternoon. The next day was our first full day and from this day onwards I mostly chose to explore by myself while they had their own plans, because I knew the stuff I wanted to see were things they weren't too interested in. (It took years for us to figure out that this was the best way to not have arguments during trips.) The next day was also one of the rainiest days I've experienced in Japan ever as it did not stop raining from morning until night.

- I began my rainy morning with a trip to Shibuya to see some of Tokyo's well-known spots (Shibuya Station, preferably the Hachiko Exit). I first had a photo with the Hachiko Statue. Hachiko was a dog that died in 1935. It was known for its loyalty, as it always waited for its owner Professor Hidesaburo Ueno outside Shibuya Station after work at the same time. After Professor Ueno passed away, Hachiko would continue to wait for Professor Ueno outside the station (assuming the Professor would be there) for almost a decade until its own passing. Hachiko gained the attention of the public, including the media, and gained love from everyone. As a symbol of loyalty, a statue of Hachiko was built and placed outside Shibuya Station.

With the most loyal dog.

A closeup of the Hachiko statue.

- Just beside the statue is probably the world's busiest and most famous crossing: the Shibuya Scramble Crossing. Honestly, it felt underwhelming as I thought it would be a huge pedestrian crossing. It appeared like any other pedestrian crossing to me, although I could imagine having thousands of people cross the street at the same time would have made things a lot more remarkable. Since it was around 7 in the morning, the crowd wasn't heavy yet, which was good, but at the same time being there early meant that some of the electronic billboards weren't operating yet, and the buildings were obviously not lit. Still, it was easier to take photos that way; no regrets. 

Just trying to cross the street.

Hachiko wall art.

Shibuya Scramble Crossing on a rainy morning.

- I rode the train from Shibuya Station to Yoyogi Station and walked all the way to the Meiji Shrine (also accessible via the Meiji-jingu-mae Station and Harajuku Stations among other stations). It is a Shinto shrine built in 1920 in honor of the Meiji Emperor. Apart from the main shrine, which does appear like many other prestigious shrines, it also has a garden area. I think it wasn't the best time to go to the garden because the flowers (particularly the irises in the iris garden) were still being planted so I wasn't able to see any flowers. I did, however, see Kiyomasa's Well in the garden, which is said to be a "power spot" as it is said to provide good energy, and it also provides liters upon liters of water per minute. (Because I saw the well in the rain, I felt the energy from the rain more than whatever energy I should be getting from being around that well.)

Main torii gate.

Main shrine.

A smaller torii at the back side.

Kiyomasa's Well (in the rain.)

Meiji Shrine Treasure Museum. I think it was closed temporarily (I walked all the way to the museum for nothing, in short. It was a bit far from the entrance.)

- Soon after I decided to go back to the hotel to warm myself and change into a new set of clothes after being drenched in the rain. When I was all set, I went to Nakano Broadway (Nakano Station). Though a bit off way from many places I planned to visit in Tokyo, I knew I had to visit Nakano Broadway for a few reasons. This mall-apartment complex that was built in 1966 houses many interesting things. It has interesting food choices at the basement level, as well as rows of second-hand kimono stores (my target), as well as endless stores selling items related to Japanese popular culture (which includes Super Sentai, my favorite).

After you leave Nakano Station, just follow the covered shopping street (Nakano Sun Plaza) then Nakano Broadway is at the end.

Kimono stalls at the basement.

Mandarake, which operates most of the stalls in Nakano Broadway, has done so since 1980. It started as a book and manga store, and has expanded to selling other pop culture items like toys and other collectibles.

You'll see this.

SUPER SENTAI PLS.

MUST GET ALL.

They also have Power Rangers (Power Rangers is the American adaptation of Super Sentai.)

Torii gates to another Mandarake store.

Sailor Moon!

- After going around the infinite stores of Nakano Broadway, I rode the train to Ikebukuro (Ikebukuro Station) for dinner. I was actually so glad I found out about this because I nearly missed having the chance to have a dinner at the Super Sentai Restaurant (please reserve your slot through their website here). The Super Sentai Restaurant opened in 2021 and shares space with the Kamen Rider restaurant. (Both Super Sentai and Kamen Rider are from the same company.) Not only were Super Sentai merch displayed in the restaurant, but the food in the restaurant are also based on the shows through the ages (such as a character's distinctly favorite food). 

They give tokens to customers.

Had to find the perfect shirt that was related to Super Sentai, and I guess I nailed it. My shirt has the usual colors of Super Sentai teams. 

More sentai.

With the current one, Boonboomger.

Autographs!

My dinner: Gokaiger Neapolitan spaghetti, Bioman sci-fi drink, and Zenkaiger dessert.

Toyssss.

Some of their robots!

Super Sentai, Kamen Rider, and me!

Left side: Super Sentai, right side: Kamen Rider, and a wideeeescreen TV in the middle. 

Kamen Rider side.

It says "Super Sentai Restaurant", and you'll see all of the little red rangers displayed!

- I really enjoyed my time at the Super Sentai restaurant and I'm so glad I was able to check this out while in Tokyo! It's rare for me to find stuff that caters spot-on to my interests. My dinner at the Super Sentai restaurant also concluded my first full day in Japan. So far, Tokyo has been amazing despite the rain, and I couldn't wait to see more of what Tokyo has to offer!


** Please check out my other blogs in this series:

Part 2: Imperial Palace, Tokyo Tower, and nearby shrines (click here)

Part 3: Kawagoe and Tokyo Tower again (click here)

Part 4: Sensoji, Ueno, Ameyoko, Cat Cafe (click here)

Part 5: Odaiba and Gundam, Tsukiji Outer Markets, Tsukiji Honganji, Ginza (click here)

No comments:

Post a Comment