Wednesday, April 10, 2024

Spring in Tokyo (Part 4): The Sense of Sensoji, and the Way of Ueno

- March 28, 2024, Thursday.


- One of the highlights of visiting Tokyo is going to the Sensoji Temple in Asakusa (Asakusa Station). Established in the 600s, it is perhaps the oldest temple in Tokyo. It is mainly a Buddhist temple, but it also has a Shinto shrine within the temple grounds. The temple welcomes its guests through the Kaminarimon, or the main gate, followed by Nakamisedori (a popular shopping street), before entering the main temple courtyard. This temple, being the most prominent in Tokyo, is always crowded with tourists. I suggest going early to prevent headaches when taking photos. However, the shops in Nakamisedori and Nishisandori open around 10am.

Kaminarimon.

Tokyo Skytree from the temple.

I super love the fact that there's this giant fully-bloomed sakura tree, which makes the perfect "Spring in Tokyo" photo.

On the way to the main temple.

Main hall.

Photography isn't allowed inside so this is the most I can show. (Also, in case you see the swastika on the lantern, please note that the swastika was originally a Hindu-Buddhist symbol before being appropriated by the Nazis.)

Main hall.

Lion guarding the Shinto shrine behind.

One of the shopping streets accessible from the temple, Nishisandori.

Nakamisedori, the main shopping street.

New Nakamisedori, also in the area.

A mikoshi (religious palanquin) exhibited at the Asakusa Station.

- After visiting the shrine, I rode the train to Ueno Station (just a few stations away). Ueno Park, established in the 1870s, was made to be like a Western-style park. It is honestly one of my favorite parks now. Not only does it have quiet places to find peace, such as temples and shrines from earlier centuries, but it now has a concentration of national museums and galleries, and a zoo as well. It reminds me, to an extent, of Washington D.C.'s National Mall. I didn't have time to visit each attraction, but my main agenda was to visit the Tokyo National Museum. Built in the 1870s, this is the oldest national museum in Japan. (If only I had the time, I would've also visited the Museum of Nature and Science beside the National Museum.)

National Museum.

There was a special exhibit on the 900th anniversary of the Chuson Ji Temple's Golden Hall.

Main hall, the honkan entryway.

Royal palanquin.

Samruai armor.

A Kawari Kabuto helmet. I was able to try wearing one last year (click here) and boy was it heavy!

Kimonos.

Noh Theater kimonos. (So they look fancier than the usual.)

Kannon statue.

Doll exhibit.

Ainu style clothes.

A typical google-eyed dogu statue. Archaeologists still aren't sure what they're for.

Japanese pottery through the ages.

The Hyokeikan (1909), which is an exhibition hall only for special exhibits. 

At the Asian Gallery, of course I had to take photos of Gandhara Art from India.

Asian textiles.

Saw this series of torii gates, which reminded me of Kyoto's Fushimi Inari Shrine.

- Ueno Park would've been nicer if I had a lot of time to go around, and if it didn't start drizzling (it was, a least, light). However, I was at least able to squeeze in a visit to Ameyoko, which is right beside Ueno Park, and on the way to the station. Ameyoko, or Ameya Yokocho, is a long shopping street below and beside the train tracks. It is honestly the most chaotic thing I've seen in Tokyo, and reminds me of the narrow streets of Chinatown over here in Manila. It has foot stalls, a wet market, and plenty of stores selling souvenirs to everyday things. In short, be prepared for a sensory overload!

Ameyoko.

This wasn't the most crowded part.

The crowd starts getting "worse" here as more stores and restaurants can be found here.

- I went back to the hotel as it started to rain, and had a bit of rest before going out later in the afternoon to visit the Cat Cafe in Shinjuku. Cats aren't my thing but it was at least something a bit different from all the places I have visited in the past days. After all, one of my goals was to visit one of these quirky cafes, The cats were used to people, but appeared a bit moody. Or maybe cats are just like that I don't know. After visiting the cat cafe, I had a short stopover at Don Quijote (no photos) before going back to the hotel to have dinner with my family.

Cat Cafe Mocha Lounge.

I love this large sleepy cat.

The goal.

They can be extra friendly if they know you have treats for them.

They play with each other too.

I wasn't prepared to go to the Cat Cafe as it was a last minute decision, so I wasn't able to bring my own cat ears. Thankfully the cafe had some cat headbands!

Look for this when you're looking for the cafe.

The cafe was inside this building.

- I was happy to see Asakusa's Sensoji again as I had some nice memories there from my first visit in 2013. As for Ueno and Ameyoko, these interesting places required so much time and patience to fully explore them - which only gives me an excuse to go back to Tokyo next time! But for now, it's on to the next leg of my Tokyo adventures!

** Please check out my other blogs in this series:

Part 1: Shinjuku, Shibuya, Super Sentai Restaurant (click here)

Part 2: Imperial Palace, Tokyo Tower, and nearby shrines (click here)

Part 3: Kawagoe and Tokyo Tower again (click here)

Part 5: Odaiba and Gundam, Tsukiji Outer Markets, Tsukiji Honganji, Ginza (click here)

No comments:

Post a Comment