Friday, August 5, 2011

Apes and Anchors: MOA With Nicollette




- August 5, 2011, Friday.

- I am currently in the middle of my long long weekend, and still I feel that the stars and the heavenly bodies are conspiring against me. While I feel extremely blessed to have (a lot of) time to detoxify myself from school, all the people around me seemed busier than they were during the past few weeks. I couldn't blame them, since it really is the season of exams, theses and what not. Other people had work, or have started work, so they're out of the question.

- Recently, I had been trying very hard to find companions to go out with today and for tomorrow. I almost gave up hope for today, and was about to go for a walk in Chinatown on my own, when Nicollette IMed me via Facebook, asking if I wanted to watch a movie. I agreed immediately, of course. Since we both agreed to watch a movie at MOA, I asked Nicollette if she wanted to have dinner at Vikings with me. I badly wanted to try Vikings, since I heard that the food tasted great and looked unique. Although I was still a bit "traumatized" from my buffet experience from Spiral, I mustered up the courage and curiosity to try out Vikings.

- Nicollette and I met up around 3pm, and rode the train to MOA. We first went to Vikings to reserve a table, and proceeded to watch the 3:45 showing of Rise of the Planet of the Apes; it was the only movie that would end around 5:30, around the time when Vikings will open its doors for its dinner buffet.

- Rise of the Planet of the Apes may not be Harry Potter 7.2 or Captain America (haven't seen both, and wish to see both, if ever,) but I really appreciate the idea of the movie. It may seem that the movie is only sci-fi, and may not happen in real life, but I was more amused at how the human race's evolution was portrayed by apes against human beings. Nicollette and I felt that the movie could have had done a better ending, but I figured that the epilogue of the movie provided a "real" ending for the movie.

- After watching the movie, I accompanied Nicollette to Gong Cha to buy her milk teas to-go, and off we went to Vikings. We arrived at Vikings around 5:50, and the receptionist told me that we weren't around when my name was called, so out table was given to someone else. However, since we reserved earlier, we'll be in the priority waiting list instead of the "walk-in" waiting list. Great!!

- Nicollete and I got to have our seats around 6:15, and started to eat. Vikings, according to Nicollette, seemed to be a smaller version of Spiral. The restaurant had an appetizer counter, Japanese, Chinese, seafood, salad, Italian, grill, dessert, and beverage counters. Yes, self-service bottomless beverages (juices, sodas, beer, water) are part of the buffet, unlike most buffets where the (overpriced) drinks are to be paid separately.

- I can't help but compare my Vikings experience to my Spiral experience, right after Nicollette kept on telling me that Vikings was a mini-Spiral. Again, although I generally wasn't satisfied with Spiral, I really liked Spiral's French counter (cheeses galore,) Japanese counter, seafood counter (hands down forever,) and the awesome dessert counter (can eat their desserts all day.) Vikings on the other hand, didn't have cheese varieties, much fresh seafood choices, and desserts as awesome as the ones in Spiral, but I think my Vikings experience was way better than my Spiral experience.

- The food in Vikings were more moist, especially the dimsum, and the maki variants really seemed to have come out from an artist's pain palette. The grill area, everyone's favorite I think, served moist, subtly-spiced, grilled everything (want something grilled?? Name it, they have it.) Of course, the beverage counter was my favorite. (I drink -non-alcoholic beverages- more than I eat.) Hahahaha.

- I also saw Richard Milante, one of the MASCKS members who I've mentored before. It's his sister's birthday. Yay!!

- Nicollette and I left Vikings around 9, after paying the bill. Each of us paid 900+ (888php + 5% service charge,) and is the rate for weekday dinners, and weekend lunches/dinners. Weekday lunches would cost 688php + 5% service charge. Small children eat for free (please ask Vikings for their definition of small children) and senior citizens eat a certain percent off.

( Please visit: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Vikings-Luxury-Buffet-Restaurant/113225315413751?sk=info OR http://www.vikings.ph/ )

- Nicollete and I rode a cab home. Nicollette paid for the cab. (Thanks Nicollette!!) I am tired as hell now, but I guess my tummy was more overworked than I was today. I am very glad to have gone to MOA with Nicollette, and I am more than glad that she agreed on eating at Vikings with me, even if she was able to try it out before. At least she knew which dishes were better or not. Haha.

- I hope that I'll be able to enjoy the ONLY Saturday off that I have so far. (I had a Saturday off before, but that's because of the storm Falcon. I didn't count that. Haha.)

No comments:

Post a Comment