Saturday, July 20, 2013

The Malate Adventure

- July 20, 2013, Saturday.

- Malate is known as a red light district, and its rows of Korean and Japanese restaurants, particularly within the vicinity of Adriatico Street. Today, my friends Margarette, Melissa, and I found ourselves walking the streets of Malate after Margarette told me that Melissa wanted to satisfy her Korean food craving. Makati and Teacher's Village, two other places with many Korean restaurants, were too far, and since we only commuted, and it was in the middle of the afternoon, I proposed that Malate would be a good bet.

- We walked Pedro Gil towards Robinson's Ermita, but saw an interesting church along the way. I don't know why I had not seen this church for years, even when that part of Malate was supposed to be very familiar to me. I had a hunch that it was the Malate Church, and discovered that my guess was right. There was also a wedding going on there, which made the short visit to the church a little bit more special.





- We later went to Jang Chung Dong, a Korean restaurant in Malvar Street. Melissa introduced the restaurant to Marga and me, and told us that she only recognized the restaurant by its pig logo, not so much for its name.

- We had a feast in Jang Chung Dong. We had a giant bibimbap for sharing, a seafood pancake platter, and bibimmyeon (sweet and spicy Korean noodles, and my favorite.) We all felt that Jang Chung Dong's bibimmyeon was too spicy, and the spiciest that all of us had tasted in our lives. I enjoyed it though, but I do agree that it was a bit too spicy, even for my taste.



Marga laughing after recalling some fond high school memories. Haha.
- We later had a short trip back to Robinson's to cool off, stroll, and for my companions to enjoy a small dessert; I was too full. We headed back afterwards....and arrived home just in time for dinner - that is, if we could still eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment