Friday, May 16, 2014

Maki Haus Banawe: A Home of Chinese Comfort Food

- May 16, 2014, Friday.

- Merrill, Evan, and I decided one day to meet for dinner at Maki Haus Banawe, since we all had to see each other anyway to give each other stuff. Maki Haus Banawe was a good central point for all of us, geographically speaking, and besides, I have longed for Maki Haus' special maki since I first ate there several years ago. For those who aren't familiar, maki here does not refer to the Japanese maki, but instead, refers to the brown thick sticky soup with tender meat cuts (usually boneless meat.) Maki Haus is one of the good and affordable places to indulge maki, apart from other Chinese comfort food, like oyster cake, and kiampong (salty soy rice.) The homey restaurant is located near the Amoranto and Banawe intersection.

- I left the house early in the afternoon to meet Merrill in Banawe. I wanted to cool off with some milk tea or anything cold, because the summer heat is a torture for all of my sins in life. It makes me cry so much that I couldn't even cry anymore, because my tears have evaporated before crying, and my body is doing the excessive crying for my eyes. True enough, I met Merrill, drenched in my own sweat, and had some time to relax in Merrill's house before cooling off in Dezaato Pan. I did not want to have dinner all sweaty and sticky.

Hi Merrill.
Giving Merrill some flavor.
Yay food!!
- Evan met us around 6:30pm, and had oyster cake, pork maki, salt-and-pepper spareribs, and kiampong. The food was simple, but I liked how they were prepared in a home-cooked style, something to soothe the heart (and tummy) for any weather condition. Of course, what made dinner tastier were the sweet laughs, spicy teases, sour jokes, (and salty sweat? Maybe not,) and the umami of happiness. (Goodness I had a hard time thinking about these cheesy lines; the tasty pun was not intended for this one.)

Making dinner into a musical, like how I turn everything into a musical. Lol at Evan's face.
Merrill, finish your food.
- We had to leave a bit early because of Merrill's curfew, but as with most brief encounters, it only made us want to see each other again soon. Apart from that, it also means I have to visit Maki Haus again soon.  

No comments:

Post a Comment