Saturday, May 17, 2014

Museum Madness in May: In Celebration of the National Heritage Month

- May 17, 2014, Saturday.

- While hiding from the heat during Batangas trip last week, my friend Cedric asked me the other day if I was willing to give him a tour of some of Manila's museums, since he needed to write a short paper about them. He was given this assignment because this month is the National Heritage Month, according to the National Commission for Culture and the Arts (NCCA.) Museums handled directly by the NCCA were free of charge (such as the National Museum,) and more cultural activities (i.e. symposiums, special exhibits,) on the theme of "Pamanang Pinoy" ("Philippine Heirlooms/Heritage/Legacy") are being done nationwide this month.

- I was more than glad to give him a tour, not only because it was an excuse to hang out with him, but giving free heritage/culture/historical tours (to friends only, bleh) is one of my ways to fulfill my cultural advocacy. I know deep in my heart (and it being located deep in my fats,) that more young people - Filipinos or not - should be more aware of these things, because concepts like culture, history, and tradition bind people together, and are sources of pride. On one hand, I know many people will argue with me that difference in culture or tradition end up separating people instead of uniting them, but on the other hand, my methodology of introducing cultures is all about finding similarities and common origins of cultures, in which I can say that truly, despite seemingly different cultures and perceptions, there is "unity in diversity."

- I met Cedric this unforgivingly-hot mid-morning, and rode the jeep to Rizal Park's Phase 4. The Rizal Park has 4 phases, and and famous Rizal status is located at the third. However, the National Museum for the Filipino People (our destination,) the Agripina Circle (with the giant Lapu-Lapu statue,) and the Department of Tourism, are all located at the fourth. The National Museum for the Filipino People confuses visitors in two ways: first, it looks identical to the Department of Tourism building located across it, and second, it is the "newer National Museum," and "old National Museum" is located at the old Congress Building located near the Manila City Hall, and acts more as a national art gallery, and houses the giant Spoliarium painting. The National Museum for the Filpino People is a semi-interactive museum where each gallery shows a distinct era or theme, ranging from pre-colonial history, ethnic cultures and religions, to unearthed treasures from the San Diego shipwreck.  

Manunggul jar: the two people on top are diving beings guiding dead souls to the afterlife.

Cedric doing his homework.

Yay Philippines.
My favorite Philippine treasure: the Laguna Copperplate.
It is in Old Malay, written in the Kawi script, making it an evidence of an ancient Philippine connected to Southeast Asia and India. 

The hornbill-beaked headdress from the Northern Philippines. Another piece I fancy.

The bul-ul/bul-ol.
I always adore Maranao fashion.
The Maranao's sarimanok.
One of my favorite Philippine textiles, the t'nalak of the T'bolis.
Disclaimer: I only touched the sign, not the exhibit. BLEH.
The Butuan Balangay.



- My favorite exhibit halls were the ones on the baybayin script, also known as the "alibata," and the hall entitled "Hibla ng Lahing Filipino" (Fibers of the "Filipino Ethnicity,") an exhibit on ethnic Filipino textiles and jewelry. I had a good laugh at my self when I realized that my T'boli necklace and bracelets could have been good enough for the exhibit too.




I am thinking this is the original Laguna Copperplate, rather than the earlier one.

One day, I will wear this. (My academic mantra.) It's called the sablay, and is the academic garb of students from the University of the Philippines.
Yay for fabric!!

Looms from Senator Loren Legarda's personal collection.

T'nalak.

My T'boli necklace and bracelets were good enough for the exhibit.
Another hall on biodiversity.
Cedric likes his dead rodents.
Galleon trade route (the green dotted route.)

San Diego Galleon replica.

- Feeling tired and hungry after our first museum, we walked to and through Intramuros to have lunch at Greenwich, and had our mandatory halo-halo at Chowking beside Greenwich. Aside from that, we had a nice time taking in as much air conditioning as we could.

- Our next stop was Bahay Tsinoy, a (very well-ventilated, and well air-conditioned) museum that tells the story of the Chinese migrants until the current Chinese/Filipino-Chinese community in the Philippines. It was my second time to visit the museum; my first visit to Bahay Tsinoy was in the middle of summer too, so I knew how soothing the museum's air-conditioning was.

Chinese junks.




Hello Cedric. Please let me in.

Chinese tombs.




The Binondo Church, before it was destroyed.
Ming plates and bowls.
Map of southern China.
- A spur of the moment decision was to visit the San Agustin Museum, right beside the San Agustin Church. It was the third museum of Cedric's list, though not required, but since it was within Intramuros, and near Bahay Tsinoy, we thought it was a good idea to pay a visit. We both found out that the second-floor was being renovated, so we only had the limited first floor to see. I told Cedric that the second floor contained bigger exhibit halls on finely-embroidered religious garbs, more ship/galleon replicas, and the best part - the balcony overlooking the San Agustin Church, where pipe organs and old music scores were exhibited.

Small Cedric.
I've always been a bit creeped out by the San Agustin Museum exhibits; the seem to be staring at you, piercing your soul.

- Before going home, we went inside the church itself, and accidentally saw the graves of the Zobel-Ayala clan. (Too bad, no photos allowed.) There was a wedding too (and my parents got married there many many years ago!!)

The faces of triumphant warriors: we made it through the heat.
- On the way home, Cedric and I went to the Pasig River side of Intramuros, and walked home. I did not rely on the map 99.9% of the time we were in Intramuros, making me realize how frequently I go to Intramuros compared to most locals, so much so that I knew my way around the walled city, at least for the touristy track. I'm also glad that I got to have the chance to hang out with a good friend this way, because it was a learning experience for both of us aside from celebrating friendship (yay,) and again, it's one of the ways that I get to bring people to "my side of the galaxy" - I ain't exactly your ordinary neighborhood chubby boy, am I not?

No comments:

Post a Comment