Friday, April 26, 2019

(Part 1) Busan, the Southern Frontier: Train to Busan (Literally), and Korea's "Most Beautiful Temple"

- April 11, 2019, Thursday.

- Most people I know know one thing about Busan: "Train to Busan." It was a highly popular South-Korean zombie-apocalyptic film starring Korean actor Gong Yoo that came out in 2016. It was about a virus that turned people to zombies, and the zombies were "programmed" to infect other people by biting or scratching them. The title was named as such as the zombie virus infection happened as Gong Yoo's character was riding a train on the way to Busan from Seoul.

- I was in Seoul for around 2.5 days (click here to see) before my colleagues and I rode the KTX train to Busan from Seoul Station - the very same thing that happened in the film. Seoul Station is the main station in the capital city, with trains that go to all other parts of South Korea. It is also connected to the metro system of Seoul.

Seoul Station.
The old Seoul Station beside the new one.
Namsan Tower at the far back.
- Although the 2.5-hour ride to Busan from Seoul was far from being infested with zombies (thank God!), it did not stop me from having fun at the train by semi-discretely reenacting some scenes from the movie. (Thank you colleagues for being a part of this by taking my photos and letting my have my fun.) The ride was scenic - I saw the mountains, farms, plains, and valleys of Korea, until we reached the southern port city of Busan where I saw a stunning view of the bay. By the way, Busan is known for its high mountains and vast seas.

Having fun inside the train (click to enlarge.)
Me annoying my colleagues.
Busan!!
Busan Harbor Bridge.
Another angle of the Busan Harbor Bridge.
- It was my first time in Busan, and I was happy that it was still a bit chilly just like Seoul, but a lot less rainy. We checked in our hotel in Haeundae, known for its beaches but far from the downtown area of Busan (around 30 minutes to an hour by taxi.) Speaking of transportation, Busan has a metro system and the T Money used in Seoul can be used here as well. However, most sites are not conveniently located near the subway/metro, and some areas are quite high up in the mountains, so the taxi is the best and most convenient way to go around Busan.

- Since we had a free afternoon, some of my colleagues and I visited what is dubbed as the 'most beautiful temple in Korea" - Haedong Yonggungsa ("Eastern Sea Dragon Palace Temple"). It was built in the late 1300s Goryo Dynasty and was renovated after being destroyed by Japanese invasions in the 1500s. The Yonggungsa is unusual as it is a temple that overlooks the sea; most Buddhist temples can be found in the hearts of cities so they can easily be accessed by the royalty, politicians, and lay people; or on mountains or hills where the monks can have some peace and quiet. However, listening to the waves crash against the temple's foundations and smelling the subtle fragrance of the salty ocean smell do seem to have a calming effect.

The 12 animals of the Chinese/Korean zodiac welcome people.
What are you looking at?
"Haedong Yonggungsa."

Tunnel to the most breathtaking view ever.
See what I told you?
Of course there's me.
You said so.
My brothers!!
Buddha.
Colorful gates based with the 5 elemental colors of eastern Buddhism.
This view keeps reminding me of Miley Cyrus' song "When I Look at You."

Should have known about this when I was still studying.
- It is best to ride a cab to Yonggungsa as it is quite far from the city. Taxis for hire can be found at the parking lot, as many people do go back to the city by taxi as well. Convenient, right? However, if you are feeling adventurous, ride the train to Haeundae metro station and ride bus 181 from the station's Exit 7 to the temple.

- We took the cab back to Haeundae as the temple was closing during sundown. We spent the rest of the evening exploring the Haeundae area. It was nice to know that the beach was just around 300 meters from our hotel! I know I'm not much of a beach person, it was still a nice discovery. Well, even if I was, the 14-degree-Celcius temperature was not a suitable temperature for swimming in the sea. 

- Haeundae is a vibrant part of Busan. I keep thinking of the Haeundae as Hawaii's Waikiki, where all the (expensive) high-rise hotels are and all the touristy stuff. Just outside our hotel, rows and rows of restaurants (with all sorts of cuisines!) lined the street leading to the sea.

That's our hotel by the way. Haha.
There's a fountain in the middle. Reminds me of Seoul's Gwanghwamun Square.
SEAFOOD STREET OMG.
Restaurant after restaurant of fresh seafood!!
One day....I will eat a giant crab. ONE DAY.
Busan at night.
Haeungdae at night.
Other side of Haeundae.
- I always like walking at night in Korea's big cities because it's generally safe in Korea, and the cities seem to have a different life and aura at night as compared to their daytime selves. To be honest, cities like Seoul or Busan feel more "alive" at night than during the day. However, we couldn't stay out too long as we had to prepare for our meetings the following day. Despite our tight schedule, I was still excited to see and experience the southern frontier of Busan!! (See my trip to Seoul here, Busan Part 2 here, and Part 3 here!!)   

No comments:

Post a Comment