Thursday, December 8, 2022

Life Down Under (Part 20): Sunny Sunny Gold Coast!

- October 15, 2022, Saturday.

- Surfs up! We're headed to the Gold Coast today! The Gold Coast is probably one of the most sought-after destinations in Australia for those who love the warm sun and the blue sea perfect for surfing. I wasn't actually too keen to visit Gold Coast, until I realized that a good friend is based in the Gold Coast.

- From Brisbane, one can simply take the Gold Coast Line from any major train station to any of the Gold Coast Stations. The most convenient stop is Helensvale Station, as there is a light rail that is located near the train station that goes to the main tourist sites in the Gold Coast - the most popular of which is Surfers Paradise. In my case, my friend Karen picked me up from the station, and the day-long adventure began from there!

With Borobi, the koala mascot of the 2018 Commonwealth Games, held at the Gold Coast. Saw him outside the train station.  

- We first visited the Tallebbudgera Creek, which to me looks like a cozy little beach. Which technically a river, the part of Tallebudgera that Karen and I went to was near the confluence of the creek and Coral Sea. I loved the way it looked.

 

Just look at it!

A bit crowded, but still cozy.

With a lifesaving surfboard. Had to quickly take a photo with this because I understand that this is supposed to be used for emergencies. (Thank God there weren't any.)

- After a long catch up over lunch at Tallebudgera, we were not too sure where to go since it was difficult to reach Surfers Paradise earlier that day. From the sea, we ended up high in the mountains at the Robert Sowter Park on Tamborine Mountain. With its sharp slope and open view, no wonder it was turned into a hang glider launching ground!

Yay friendship!

It was quite scary, to be honest.

I don't think I have the guys o do hang gliding.

For your info.

- We spent part of the afternoon just eating and hiding from the harsh sun, before finally going to Surfers Paradise to chase the sun. Surfers Paradise is one of the most sought after neighborhoods in the Gold Coast, and is known for - you guessed it, surfing. Now people who know me I'm not the most enthusiastic when it comes to beaches, but I had to go there just to say "I have been there." It is the most well-known place in the Gold Coast, so why not.

Surfers Paradise at twilight.

Me and the sea.

I just had to do it.

Need help?

- After taking some photos, Karen, her husband Alvin had a stroll at the night market along Surfers Paradise, as well as Cavill Mall. The whole place reminded me of the Manila Bay area - just cleaner, safer, and less polluted.

Night Market.

Just outside Surfers Paradise.

- Karen and Alvin were kind enough to bring me back to the train station for my trip back to Brisbane. Although the Gold Coast wasn't really part of my initial travel plans in Australia, I was still happy that I was able to check it out, even for a day. I am sure there are more things to see and do, if only I had more time!

No comments:

Post a Comment