Monday, December 12, 2022

Life Down Under (Part 21): Brisbane's Mt. Coot-tha and South Bank Parklands

- October 16-17, 2022, Sunday to Monday.

- Brisbane appears to be a city close to nature. It is surrounded by mountains and the river, which leads to Moreton Bay and Coral Sea. Brisbane is small enough for people to feel both the presence of the mountains and the waters. Maybe that's why many people like staying in Brisbane.

- I woke up bright and early on Sunday morning to head towards Mt. Coot-tha, just beside the city. While people would normally take Bus 471 to Mt. Coot-tha, I decided to take an Uber to the mountain. Bus 471 to Mt. Coot-tha starts operations fairly late in the morning, and I wanted to maximize my time. Bus 471 has two stations at Mt. Coot-tha: the summit lookout, and the Brisbane Botanic Gardens (note: this is different from Brisbane CITY Botanic Gardens, which is located within the city.)

- I took pictures of the view from the lookout, and had breakfast at the cafe there. The lookout has been around since the late 1800s, and some of its structures were built in the early 1900s. 

Brisbane CBD from the summit.

- I took the late morning bus from the summit to the Botanic Gardens. The Botanic Gardens was made in the 1970s. Compared to the City Botanic Gardens, this one in Mt. Coot-tha is larger. The gardens boast many distinct areas, such as the Tropical Display Dome and the Japanese Garden.

Jacaranda in bloom, as well as lavenders.

Inside the Tropical Display Dome.


Japanese Garden.

It was hard to take photos at the Japanese Garden because there was some kind of painting event?

- Apart from all the plants and flowers, the gardens also house the Sir Thomas Brisbane Planetarium. Also built in the 1970s, this small planetarium has an exhibit on things like the planets, the early astronomers, and other space discoveries. Its main highlight is its theater that regularly has shows about space and the planets. The latter portion of the show has the planetarium staff showing the constellations that can be seen above Brisbane. As a bonus, the staff also told us of a total lunar eclipse that would happen several weeks later!

Space suit!

Planetarium.

Diagrams made by early astronomers.

This one is Babylonian!

- I rode the bus all the way back to the city and had a walk around before going back to my hostel. I had Gnocchi Brothers for dinner. Gnocchi Brothers seems to be a popular restaurant in Brisbane. Since I was too tired to go to the restaurant, I just had food delivered to my hostel. (Thank you, UberEats.)

Brisbane at night, from my hostel's roof deck.

Gnocchi Brothers.

- On my last day in Brisbane, I explored the South Bank Parklands. It was just a short walk from my hostel and other parts of downtown Brisbane. The Parklands is home to many of Brisbane's iconic landmarks, such as the Brisbane Sign, the Nepalese Peace Pagoda built in the 1980s, and the Brisbane Eye. One can also see Brisbane's "Streets Beach," which is a man-made beach built in the middle of the city in the 1990s, and the kilometer-long Grand Arbour walkway.

Brisbane sign.

ABC Brisbane. (See the reflection of the Brisbane Eye?)

Nepalese Peace Pagoda.

It makes me miss Nepal so so much!

It is normal to have erotic carvings in the temple.

Nepalese Peace Pagoda and the Brisbane Eye.

The Grand Arbour.

I realized how Brisbane seemed to love the color violet that much.

Hehe.

Streets Beach!

This is along Earnest Street, near Streets Beach. This area has many restaurants.

Don't worry, that's not a real person.

Another part of the Grand Arbour.

A random piano in the middle of Brisbane. I couldn't resist, I just had to play.

- The Parklands is also home to several of Brisbane's museums. I first went to Queensland Museum, with a general exhibit. I later found out that Queensland Museum appears small is because the museum has other branches across Queensland with specialized exhibits. When I visited the Queensland Museum, they had a temporary exhibit on Disney animation, in celebration of 100 years of Disney - of course I had to go!

Preserved shark.

Giant squid.

As usual, Australian animals.

At the Disney exhibit. People were encouraged to draw.

Early sketches.

More early sketches.

I super enjoyed this exhibit.

Travel notes for Moana.

Not a real T-Rex.

Tank.

- Queensland Museum is connected to other museums by walkway, making it easy for visitors to hop from one museum to another. The other museums are the Queensland Art Gallery (QAG), and the Queensland Gallery of Modern Art (GOMA). They're collectively referred to as "QAGOMA".

Indigenous art with modern materials.

One of my favorite works. Yes, the jacaranda petals are part of the exhibit.

Gallery of Modern Art.

This gallery had an exhibit about nature and recycling.

More art.

I really thought they were just fixing the lights. It's art after all.

- I had lunch at the State Library's cafe, which is right beside the art galleries, before walking towards my hostel and heading to the airport later that day. Brisbane does live up to its reputation of being a chill urban city and I think it's worth a short visit. Brisbane is a bit warmer than Melbourne, so if you're like me who's not a fan of the heat, best to go during the colder months like July or August. Brisbane is is an amazing destination, especially if you want to touch koalas! 

No comments:

Post a Comment