Saturday, April 24, 2010

DESBLOQUEAR: Dia del Libro 2010!!




- April 24, 2010, my final OJT day

- I expected Dia to be very stressful, just like everyone else. I arrived earlier than the other interns, and waited for the staff to set the table for my booth. I was assigned to man the Foto del Dia booth, which was a photo contest where the photo entries should be taken within the day and within the event.

- Meanwhile, the other interns and volunteers arrived shortly, and we were given our "Desbloquear" shirts. The "Desbloquear" shirts served as Dia 2010's official shirt, and our uniform.

- I had the chance to take pictures before the event officially started, and eyed on a book that I specifically liked: a dictionary of languages and language families around the world - only for a hundred pesos. Too bad I am not allowed to reserve books. I did hope to be able to get that book.

- I set up my table soon after, and a voluntario named Yvonne was paired up with me. Yvonne and I didn't have to set up too much, since all we had to do was wait for people to join the photo contest.

- Later, after almost no one inquiring about the contest, I thought of doing a short video slideshow, encouraging people to join the contest. I tried to play some music, just in case it would attract people's attention. I couldn't blame the people for not seeing our booth, since we were placed in the far end of a hallway. The only people who could see us were the ones who were on their way to the restroom; our booth was placed beside the restrooms.

- Gladly, more and more people inquired about the contest, and some even submitted entries. I took pity on this girl who had great pictures, but for some reason, my computer/card reader just can't read her memory card. I knew I wasn't supposed to feel guilty, but I did anyway. I just sang my Spanish-ized Telephone (the Lady Gaga song.) I know it's a weird thing to do, but desperate times need desperate measures. HAHAHAHA. (Yes, I was THAT desperate.)

- Yvonne and I took turns manning the booth, so we could go around, and maybe buy a books or two. Oh yeah, I was able to buy an eco-bag (the one I was fussing about the past week.) YEY. Haha. Aside from that, I was able t grab a Berso-sa-Metro shirt, one of the things I wanted to buy since the 2009 Dia del Libro.

- The afternoon was as slow as hell. I kept on yawning, and the only thing that kept me alive were the songs that played continuously from my iTunes playlist, and random interns who came and talked to me. Obviously, I wasn't stressed at all. It was also less stressful when we stopped accepting submissions around 3pm, and started letting the people vote from 3pm to 6pm. For some reason, this was the first time that boredom made time fly by quickly.

- Yunji also showed my something that I might have wanted to buy. It was the story of Chun-hyang (a famous Korean literary character,) but written in Spanish. That Chun-hyang book was one of the books that I had packed a few weeks ago, and had told Tina for weeks that I wanted to grab hold of that book. Luckily, that book coincidentally went to Tina's 100-peso-book pile. Great!! Other than that, I grabbed myself a guidebook to touring in African countries. Not my best bet, but I think it's interesting.

- As the sun came down completely, Yvonne and I closed our booth and counted the ballots. Out of nowhere, a Brazilian guy came to me and asked for Instituto brochures. I told him I could speak Portuguese, and so I did. He was obviously surprised. Haha. Then again, I found it hard to speak Brazilian Portuguese, since I was trained in European Portuguese (Portugal.)

- I roamed around just in case I was able to find more books to purchase, but instead found a surprise for myself: Mr. Capili. Mr. Capili is a Spanish and Portuguese professor in the Ateneo. Last semester, I mustered up enough courage to ask permission from him if I could sit-in in his Portuguese classes every Monday. He happy said yes - and I couldn't be more thankful. (He's the one responsible for my European Portuguese training.)

- After everything was settled, we interns had a good rest before proceeding to our free dinner, and the much-awaited Latin party. Some of them even changed to their "party clothes." As for me, well, I didn't have anything else to put on, except for the black shirt I wore when I came to the Instituto this morning.

- The Latin party started out with shy people at the back, and deliberately un-filling the dance floor. The Latin band played with much gusto, and a few Latinas at the side finally couldn't control their Spanish-Latino dancing genes. Even our jefes (chiefs) like the Head Librarian Manolo couldn't resist dancing, while sipping his cup of wine once in a while while dancing with one of the female Spanish teachers.

- For some reason, the dance floor was slowly filled up, as more and more people, including me, had a crash course salsa and cha-cha lesson from the female dance instructor.

- It wasn't a doubt that we all had a good time, and obviously a special way to end my internship. I'd be going back to the Instituto next week for my evaluations and my Spanish lessons, but I know it would be different. I learned a lot about my course while working in the Instituto. It was a big risk applying in the Instituto not only because it's not a mainstream place for Comm people to have the OJT in, but because it was the only place I applied in. Good thing.

- By the way. I didn't drink tonihht. I don't drink at all, anyway. Hahahaha.

No comments:

Post a Comment