Friday, December 7, 2012

A Day with the Indian Ambassador: Around Manila And The Clumsy Elephant That Was Me

- December 7, 2012, Friday.

- The National Youth Commission invited us 25 delegates the nights to join a press conference held today at Dusit Thani. Since only two were allowed to go, I volunteered myself to be a participant, and the other being my friend and schoolmate, Rachel Basas.

- The press conference's main topic was about the ASEAN-Indian partnership, particularly the Philippine-Indian bilateral relations. The main VIPs were representatives from the Embassy of India (of course, headed by the ambassador, his excellency Amit Dasgupta,) Department of Foreign Affairs, and the National Youth Commission (headed by USEC Leon Flores, and ASEC Georgina Nava.) The conference held this morning, 11am (errr, we REALLY started around 12 noon,) at the Fiesta San Miguel function room of Dusit Thani.

-  I met Rachel this morning, and had a light breakfast inside Dusit Thani. Since we were there early, we discussed some things regarding the topic for the press con, and took some photos. The clumsy me tripped on the tripod with the sign board that had the press con's name on after taking the photo. The sign board fell, and Rachel and I hurriedly fixed the sign board. At that moment, the ambassador just came up the stairs, and Rachel and I weren't sure if he saw my clumsy scene. (I sure hope he didn't. Hahahaha.)



With Rachel and the tripod/sign board I clumsily tripped on.



Ambassador Amit Dasgupta



ASEC Georgina Nava

Talking to the press.



USEC Leon Flores




With Mr. Vishnu Hathiramani



- The press conference was attended by some media men, such as Manila Bulletin, Philippine Star, and Solar News. After the speeches of the VIPs, I had my 10 minutes of spotlight in the press con, and gave a short background regarding our delegation to the "mother land." The journalist from Expat News/Magazine interviewed me further regarding our delegation.

- Over lunch, Rachel and I were able to talk briefly with the ambassador, and had the opportunity to meet and greet Mr. Vishnu Hathiramani, the editor and publisher of "Namaste," the Philippine-Indian community magazine.

- After lunch, which by the way was a sumptuous Indian buffet, Rachel and I, together with ASEC Nava, were able to hitch a ride with USEC Flores' car to the National Youth Commission.

- In the NYC office, Rachel and I joined the other delegates, and was in time for ASEAN Director Jules Flores' brief orientation and lecture on the ASEAN-India partnership. Ambassador Dasgupta also had some remarks after. I think the most important point, or the highlight of his brief speech, both in the press con and the orientation, was that "India doesn't see the Philippines as a market; it sees the Philippines as a dialogue partner." This shows that there is more to the Phil-Indian relationship other than business or trade, and that is friendship, growth, and development of both nations.

- I left the NYC, after a lengthy meeting, around quarter past 7, tired as hell and carrying a bunch of things (i.e. the heavy press kit from the press con.) Still, a day with the ambassador was definitely an extraordinary experience.







The delegates with Ambassador Dasgupta, and ASEAN Director Jules Flores

No comments:

Post a Comment