Monday, December 3, 2012

A Sunday of Surprises: The Magic of Japan and India

- December 2, 2012, Sunday.

- I had been waiting for this day for weeks, since I bought a ticket to this afternoon's performance of Ballet Philippines' Rama Hari. Rama Hari is one of Philippine theater's attempts in staging India's Ramayana with a bit of Filipino twist in it. (More on that later.) Big people worked behind the play, especially during its original staging in 1981 (i.e. Salvador Bernal, Rolandio Tinio, Ryan Cayabyab, etc.)

- I went to SM Mall of Asia a few hours before going to CCP, since I needed to look for some winter accessories for my trip next week. While passing by the main atrium, I found out that there was a Power Rangers Samurai event today, and there would be a meet and greet at 1pm (more than enough time to catch my 3pm show in nearby CCP.)

- I went around the mall to do my errands, and came back after lunch to meet the Power Rangers. I did not have a meet-and-greet stub, so I just took a photo of them "with me" while the Rangers were on stage posing and demonstrating their "Power Rangers moves."






Kids posing for their mom's camera. Hahahaha. 







AHHHH....CHILDHOOD DREAM!!








- I rode a cab later to CCP, and changed into my Rajasthani kurta to match the "Rama Hari" theme. I walked around CCP until many people were already going in. I sat at the front row of Balcony I Center. However, I was asked to move (possibly to the Orchestra,) by one the ushers, since my position would probably affect/hinder the projector that would flash the English subtitles of the laced-deep-Filipino play. Fortunately, I realized that the one in charge of the projector/subtitles was my friend Tin Cleofas; she kindly told the usher that my seat won't affect the projector, and so I was able to keep my perfectly-positioned seat.

-  Rama Hari was a bit minimalist, with the stage mostly colored and dazzled by lights, cloth-as-props, and moving props held by the dancers (i.e. trees, poles, etc.) If I would critique the play based on "authenticity," then it would disappoint those like me looking for the "Indianness" in Rama Hari. The play used Mughal-inspired costumes, the Mughal era being India's Islamic era (the era responsible for the Taj Mahal and related structures,) which was not too in-sync with the supposed timeline of the Ramayana. Many movements and some background music were akin to Southeast Asian dance drama (i.e. Malaysian/Southern Philippine techniques, use of the kulintang, use of shadow play/puppet, etc.) Also, this was by far the most condensed form of Ramayana I've ever encountered in my life, even more condense than the Ramayana I staged 5 years ago in high school. The characters were reduced to a mere fraction/decimal, and many parts of the plot were slashed off (this is more understandable though.) Still, the main story/idea of Ramayana could still be understood.

- Despite all these, Rama Hari was one amazing production, and literally brought tears to my eyes. I am currently shrugging off my "authenticity rule" in critiquing whichever performance, and applauding Rama Hari for its simplicity and easy-to-understand performance. I also commend the very unusual technique of executing the play. All the characters were split into two forms: a singer who provided the narratives and dialogues, and of course, who sang, and a dancer who provided movement and dramatization to the singer's voice. The show I watched featured OJ Mariano and Kalila Aguilos as Rama and Sita (alternates to main Rama and Sita, Christian Bautista and Karylle,) with dancers Richardson Yadao and Katherine Trofeo providing movement for Rama and Sita.

- The best surprise of the afternoon was when Tin gave me the heads up that the cast of Rama Hari would be showing up at the lobby for a meet and greet. After she told me this, I ran to the lobby, and moments later, everyone from the production marched regally to the lobby, as everyone applauded them for their performance. On top of this, OJ, Kalila, Richardson, and Katherine sat down for an autograph session for those who bought the Rama Hari playbill (I am still so glad I bought mine before the play started!!) The other dancers and some performers also stayed to have their photos taken with friends, family, and fans.

- I don't normally like to get tired on Sundays, but today's events turned out a thousandfold better than expected. More importantly, I hope that more "cultural" plays like Rama Hari will be staged in the Philippines. I'm nuts for plays that showcase different cultures; in this case, theater is used as a medium of alternative education. Most of all, I miss theater, being on stage or backstage, I really miss the world of theater, even just amateur theater. :) :) :) :)



Hi Tin!!


Why hello Rama Hari cast!!



Autograph signing.


YAY!! My costume "didn't go to waste." HAHAHAHA.


She was Soorphanaka's dancer form. Too awesome. Haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment