Tuesday, February 12, 2013

"How Many Almonds Does It Take to Play the Piano?? One Awesome Almond."

- February 12, 2013, Tuesday.

- My pianist-friend Almond (yes, that's his real name,) invited me and many others to his graduation recital. He's been studying piano performance as his major in the University of Santo Tomas for the last 6 years, and finally, he was up and prepared to his big night at the PhilAm Life auditorium.

- I have to thank the heavens for several things. First, my class tonight was cancelled, because my professor wanted to give our class a research break. Second, I had LBM last Sunday night, and was quite fine yesterday and today; my tummy acted up again immediately after Almond's grad performance. Third, I was able to see some friends I haven't seen in a while, including my neighbor Charmaine who lives right above me.

Almond preparing.
Photoshoot with neighbor Dianne, photos courtesy of my former neighbor, Riezeryl.
Was wearing my kurta and Nehru vest.

- Almond performed for around a total of one hour and fifteen minutes, excluding the 15- to 20-minute intermission. He played:
    1. Prelude and Fugue in B-Flat Major for Organ, BMW 560 by Bach-Kabalevsky
    2. All eight movements of Kreisleriana, Opus 16, by Robert Schumann
    3. All 5 movements of Suite de Danzas Criollas, Opus 15, by Alberto Ginestera (an interesting Spanish-
        inspired piece,)
    4. Frederic Chopin's Piano Concerto No. 1 in E Minor, Opus 11; Almond played Chopin's concerto
        together with the Manila Symphony Orchestra, under the baton of Mr. Jason Borromeo Ros.





With the orchestra.


Final bow.


Speech.


- Almond had a short (??) thank-you speech at the end. All of us had a hard time catching Almond for photo-sessions; he was like a celebrity tonight. (I also had a difficult time asking him to smile properly.)

I said a nice smile!!
Why smile with him, not me??
Almondddddd!!!!
Snooping around backstage.
OK great. :D:D:D:D
With the awesome Marianne.

- I wanted to stay for the food and refreshments afterwards, but my friends decided to eat some place nearby for unknown reasons. Needless to say, I opted to go with them, since it was more fun that way. At least I got to hang out with them again, and got to know Zach's brother and his current significant someone, Marianne, who was also awesomely kind to drop me and my neighbors home.

- I was relieved - or not, again, - the my body completely went haywire, part 2, after I arrived home. Perhaps, it's the heavens' way of willing me to go to Almond's recital tonight, and spend time with awesome people.

No comments:

Post a Comment