Saturday, February 9, 2013

Waiting for the Snake: The Almost Chinese New Year 2013

- February 9, 2013, Saturday.

- I had to pick up my custom-made Maranao costume this afternoon, and do some errands right before I settled in Chinatown, where I was supposed to meet Nellie and her significant other, Sol.





- Chinatown this year wasn't as festive as last year, since most of the expected cultural performances and activities are now held in the more-convenient Lucky Chinatown Mall. While I did not visit Lucky Chinatown the whole day today, I did not feel the new-year vibes in Ongpin, despite still being crowded with shoppers, passers-by, photographers (and photographer-wannabes,) and the ever-present lion and dragon dances. I personally think that the new-year vibe shouldn't be removed from the bustling Ongpin (although traffic will definitely be a headache,) since it is the cradle of the Filipino-Chinese community, not to mention the historic and cultural function of Ongpin Street.

- I met Nellie and Sol in the big President restaurant, and had our favorite crystal prawns, hot prawn salad, birthday noodles, beef hofan, and mango sago. Nellie had to tell me some things, especially since we have not seen each other for more than half a year.



With Nellie and Sol.

- I had the opportunity to walk around Ongpin after Nellie and Sol had to go home, and while I was waiting for my mom to tell me to go to my aunt's house for our new-year's-eve dinner. Although I wasn't too satisfied with the lack of new-year aura in Ongpin, I was more than happy to see friends during my late afternoon in the streets of Binondo Chinatown -- the heart of Manila's Filipino-Chinese community.

Shirby!!
Purple lion.






Someone burning incense.

No comments:

Post a Comment