Sunday, April 7, 2013

In the Middle of Nowhere: Laguna's Lake Pandin with Chums

- April 6, 2013, Saturday.

- After around 6 long years or wishful thinking and failed plans, some of my high school friends and I were able to push through with our first out-of-town trip (as a group.) Marvinson was the main organizer of this trip; I also noticed that he was quite good at organizing local trips, especially to places associated with nature. (My specialty is sightseeing and usually historical/cultural places.)

- Marvinson suggested that we visit Lake Pandin in San Pablo Laguna, and its twin, Lake Yambo. I am not really a "water person" (I hate going to beaches,) but I decided to go with the guys and visit the lake. After all, visiting a lake is a different experience than visiting a beach. (I think beaches are overrated.) I also mentioned to them that I could not go into the water because of my nasal-allergies-plus-lingering-cold that I got from Japan.

- This morning at 8:15, we rode a bus from Buendia-Taft to San Pablo. It took 2 us hours to get to Laguna, and got two tricycles to take us to the parking spot for Lake Pandin. We got lost a bit in finding the lake, since a mere 15-minute walk was needed from the tricycle stop/ parking spot to the lake, but some kind locals we met along the way helped us out.

Marvinson, serious and all.

Finding our way to the lake.

The locals' pet monkey.


Jump shot!!
Probably the summer-iest photo I've had in like, ever.
Ready to paddle??
- Guests of Lake Pandin were assigned on a raft, with two locals (wo)manning the bamboo raft. Halo-halo for 20 pesos was also available. I believe that the halo-halo I've eaten in Lake Pandin was one of the most delicious halo-halos I've eaten in my life. It was not too sweet, had some fresh fruits, and the ube was not overpowering (I am not an ube person, which is why I don't usually like eating halo-halo,) and it didn't have beans.

Halo-halo.


I really like taking group photos with my own sweat.



One of the locals who assisted us.



- Our guides took us to the other side of the lake for a "3-minute walk" (for those used to the trail) to the other lake, Lake Yambo. The trail was very difficult, since it was very steep, and did not have definite steps, except for a few parts of the trail. I think it took us around 7 minutes to finish the short trail, and see the seemingly untouched Lake Yambo.

Lake Yambo.

Hard to get there. Steep steps.




The way back (the same way .)
Pretending to smile, but deep down, we all had a hard time with those steps. HAHA.

SUCCESS.
- Back in our raft in Pandin, we were able to try the vine swing, and some also went for a swim before having lunch. Our lunch was my favorite part of the trip. We were served some fried small shrimp with gata, fern salad (pako salad) with onions and salted egg, grilled tilapia, coconut, and some small bananas. Our rice was wrapped in pandan leaves, making the rice more fragrant. The food and rafting services (2 hours) cost a total of 360php.


Vine swing euphoria.










They tried ever so hard to create a circle. HAHA.
Lunch!!
- The rest of the afternoon was spent fishing, or more like feeding the fish, since the fish nibbled our baits too quickly. It was nice seeing a lot of small fish in the (very deep) lake though. Some of them got a bit tired of waiting for fish, and swam again, until it was time for us to head to the shore.

No fish caught.

Taking interest in the souvenirs for sale.


Nathalie the model.
- We had a longer trip back home from Laguna, and the bus we took played some weird Thai movies. (I don't mean to be mean, but the movies were really bizarre. Too bad I wasn't able to get the titles.) Although we were tired, and most of us (exluding me,) had some body aches here and there, we were very happy that we were finally able to get out of Manila, even just for the afternoon. I am still not a water person, and I don't think I will be, since I grew up disliking to go to bodies of water, (not a fan of getting wet when not necessary, but I do take regular baths in the bathroom, and always like drinking water,) but I think my experience in Lake Pandin was a good temporary seclusion from the city. Personally, if there's one thing that would make me consider going back to Lake Pandin, I think that would be the food. Haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment