Sunday, April 28, 2013

The Southeast Asian Craving: Banana Leaf Asian Kitchen

- April 28, 2013, Sunday.

- My friends Christiane, and now-doctors Monica and Dorenett, and I decided to try the newly-opened Banana Leaf Asian Kitchen (BLAK) in Lucky Chinatown Mall. BLAK replaced what used to be Kirin, a restaurant that served Szechuan-style Chinese food. I received neutral to not-so-favorable reviews of Kirin; I tried it myself last December, and was not too convinced with its Szechuan food. (Probably why it closed down.)

Dor and Christiane.


- BLAK opened a few weeks ago, and I hoped that it tasted better than the Banana Leaf in Robinsons Place Ermita. Banana Leaf in RP Ermita was not too authentic, so I wished that BLAK won't disappoint me.

- We had nasi goreng, pad thai, shrimp covered in oats, and Thai chicken green curry. Although the dishes were generally OK, I felt that the serving size seemed a bit small. I also preferred the shrimp to be cooked with the oats without the shell, than with the shell, since most of the seasons oats' flavors go to the shell instead of the body.

Sumosam's parade outside. Dunno why they had a small parade though. 
- I had pandan iced tea to drink, and felt that the pandan was too overwhelming. At least the restaurant's special iced teas, like mine, could avail a free refill.

Yogurt.
- We all had yogurt after our semi-heavy lunch. BLAK seemed promising, and was a great addition to Lucky Chinatown's list of restaurants. Although located a few doors away from Little Asia, another restaurant that served Asian food with different twists and fusions, I think both restaurants were still largely distinct in terms of the dishes available and the manner of preparation. (I still prefer Little Asia though. I think their pad thai is more authentic than BLAK's.)

No comments:

Post a Comment