Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Hwanyeong Hamnida!! Yonsei University - Ateneo de Manila University Student Dialogue 2011




- January 25, 2011, Tuesday

- Our Korean Langauge class was fortunate enough to be part of the Yonsei-Ateneo student dialogue entitled "Exploring Philippine-South Korean Relationships: Ateneo and Yonsei Students in Dialogue." This rare opportunity was approached to us by our professor "Sonsaengnim" Sarah Domingo- Lipura a few weeks ago.

- The four Yonsei students were in the country for around two weeks to conduct a study about Filipino-Korean marriages. In line with this, the Yonsei students gave a short talk about this, while we presented the hallyu phenomenon in the Philippines (aka the "Korean Wave".) This was actually my thesis last sem (got an A, yay!!) My prof asked me, along with my dialogue partner in class Francis, to present a short version of my thesis.

- Yoondo and Willy were cute together as emcees. Yoon spoke in English, and Willy spoke in Korean. After the brief introduction and the short talks, our group had a mini production number. We danced a medley of Pinoy Ako, Sorry Sorry, and my infamous Gee solo ssanti ("cheap"/parody) dance. I think the Koreans were both "scared" and happy with my performance.

- Before ending the session, I gave all of them the gift bags I prepared during the weekend. The gift bags made of banig contained a guitar keychain with the word "Philippines" on it, an artsy-fartsy shell magnet, a super duper small t-shirt (used as deco) that had a jeepney and the word "Manila" printed, and small pouches/coin purses that had the name of the country and a nice picture of a vinta. :D:D:D:D (Products courtesy of my mom and I during our latest shopping trip. That's where I bought my tribal necklace too. Haha.)

- I removed my barong immediately after the people started to pack up. Instead of changing my entire wardrobe - I didn't want to remove my slacks and/or my white undershirt - I just placed an Ifugao vest and a tribal Ifugao necklace. Hey, since I'm going Filipiniana anyway, why not stick with the concept for the rest of the day, right? Well, that's me. Haha.

- The Koreans were interested in my Ifugao costume, and commented that I had too many costumes. I told them that I had a second hand hanbok, which also impressed them. (My hanbok was very inexpensive, class B, and second hand, bought in a Korean thrift store, as compared to first-hand heavily embroidered ones that cost a fortune in Korea.)

- Those who didn't have classes right after Korean class, including me, toured the Yonsei students around campus. I tried to talk to them in Korean, as I have even during my "mock" defense with Francis. (I tried to be humorous during the report, just to lighten up the mood.) We went to the Gesu, and headed to Manang's afterwards. Our class treated the Koreans with (inexpensive) traditional Filipino food.

- I don't know why I was really hyper, or as Sang put it - "passionate," but I kept making really annoying and random comments. Example:

a. These are the famous Filipino mangoes. They are sweet, just like the people of this tropical country. Mangoes were said to symbolize the hearts of the Filipinos....and the color yellow shows that Filipinos have golden hearts.

b. This is kutsinta. It's made of sticky rice. It symbolizes who Filipinos have close family ties.

- It was a shame that some of us had class after one and a half hours after Korean class. (I had my Japanese class. Haha.) If we had more time, and less stress, maybe we even toured the Yonsei students around Manila. I really wanted to do so, as an Itchy Tours Walking Tours guide. Still, it was great to have met friends from the land of kimchi, Kpop, Koreanovelas, and hanbok.

:D:D:D:D

** Oh btw, before the report, I introduced myself, and I told them that I was wearing a Barong Tagalog. Hahahaha. I still can't get over the fact that I have my own barong now. The last time I wore a barong was when I was a tiny fat boy, and "hired" by many relatives' weddings to be their ring bearer. Hahahaha. I bought a ready to wear barong last week just for this event. Still, it was a great excuse to buy a barong that doesn't itch. It didn't cost as much as other barongs too. Haha.

3 comments: