Wednesday, January 19, 2011

"Do You See What I See??": The Shopping Trip With Clarisse




- January 19, 2011, Wednesday

- Days ago, Clarisse asked me to accompany her to 168. After coming home from school today, I realized that today wouldn't be a busy day. I asked Clarisse immediately if she wanted to go to 168 today, and she agreed without hesitation.

- I met Clarisse in 11/88, the former Meisic mall, around 1:30 in the afternoon. While waiting for Clarisse to arrive, I strolled around the ground floor, and was interested in buying some (more) accessories. Seeing that they were priced more than twice as the ones in Quiapo, I became discouraged. I almost bought a bracelet with the Hindu "Om" written on the beads, but the bracelet didn't fit me too. It was worth a hundred pesos. I bet if I saw something like that in Quiapo, it'd be around 35 pesos, more or less.

- After finally seeing Clarisse, she made me taste her pistachio cheese bread. It was moist, light, and subtle. If I were to describe the bread in an artistic way, I'd say it was a mix of pastel colors and dew drops in bread form.

- Our first agenda for the afternoon was to return the DVDs she bought in 168 the other day. They had some defects I think. Aside from that, she also planned on buying some DVDs too. We went to 168, and searched for the store where she bought the defected DVDs.

- The recent news showed that many stalls in 11/88, 168, 999, and Divisoria were shut down because they violated the government rules and whatnot. Luckily, even though the store where Clarisse bought her DVDs shut down, the DVD saleswoman was "lurking" near their "old stall," and still continued to sell DVDs.

- It didn't take long before Clarisse exchanged her DVDs and bought her new DVDs (which Clarisse learned later on, were defected as well.) We excitedly hopped around 168 and looked for nice things. I was looking for dream catcher necklaces, but I couldn't find a single store that sells them. I think it's a sign for me to really stop spending money. (I had been going on shopping trips almost once every week. This is bad for me, and my wallet.) We also explored the new and improved "wing" of 168. Congratulations, 168 is now triple its old size. Haha.

- While walking towards the new wing, this rather funny dialogue made my day:

Gilbert: Do you see what I see?? (referring to a striped collared orange-and-white shirt)

Clarisse: Oh....(looks inside the store, seemingly looking at the same shirt I was looking at.)

Gilbert: Do you see what I see?????????????????? :D:D:D:D

Clarisse:..............................No.

Gilbert: T_T

- I didn't buy the orange-and-white shirt, but I did find another striped collared shirt that seemed to suit me well. (This was also the same store where I bought my infamous "Jollibee" shirt.) Haha.

- In another stall, I was able to buy a Chinese hat for men. I had been looking everywhere for a Chinese hat, but I only saw ones for children. (The round Chinese hats that have a strand of braided hair attached at the back.)

- Clarisse and I also found the Lady Gaga earphones that Clarisse' brother wanted to have. Clarisse seemed a bit reluctant to buy the earphones, so she texted her brother while we went to the new 999 mall.

- The new 999 mall seemed a bit empty because it's fairly new, and some stores were also closed down by the government. Although most of the things there were more or less similar to 168 or 11/88, the Korean grocery near the food court fancied me. Of course, it was similar to the ones found in Koreatowns around Metro Manila (or the Korean grocery that popped out of nowhere in Chinatown.)

- At around 3pm, we went back to 168 and tried the Thai "carinderia-style" stall in the food court. I forgot the name of the stall, but it's the only Thai stall in the foodcourt anyway. It is owned by a Filipino-Thai couple. The wife is Thai, although she may look Filipina and speak good Filipino.

- Clarisse and I tried their Pad Thai, and their tilapia with tamarind-sauce. I asked Clarisse to find a spot for us, while I waited for out order. I thanked the lady in Thai, and she laughed out of surprise. She replied in Thai too. Haha.

- While Clarisse and I were eating, her brother texted us, and told us to verify the model of the Lady Gaga earphones before buying them. He had specifics. Hahahaha. Clarisse and I dragged ourselves back to the store selling the Gaga earphones. When we saw the actual earphones, they didn't seem to look "as nice as the original," although the quality of sound was superb. We eventually bought them, but Clarisse wanted to "sell" the earphones to her brother at a slightly higher price.

- It was around quarter past four in the afternoon, and I needed to go to my beloved CKSC to direct MASCKS, as always and forever. Clarisse and I walked under the gloomy clouds that brought light rain earlier this afternoon, and parted ways in Padre Algue Street. Ironically, Clarisse and I were far from gloomy, sad, or anything in between. (Maybe my wallet is more than gloomy, I suppose. Haha.)

- I honestly need to stop spending. I splurged in Quiapo earlier this month, went to Quiapo and Tutuban last Friday, and today, 168 and its neighboring malls. However, shopping does give me "temporary" happiness, and permanent guilt afterwards. I am not used to spending this much in so little time. I think it's because of the stress school gives me. I am slightly more than a month away from liberty, but the workload keeps on getting worse. Still, I need to finish what needs to be finished. Goodness, good luck to me. :|:|:|:|

No comments:

Post a Comment