Saturday, February 5, 2011

"Leap" Into The Rabbit Year: Gong Xi Fa Cai Dinner With Nellie And Bino




- February 5, 2011, Saturday

- The lunar new year started just a few days ago, and the Philippines warmly welcomed the rabbit year as it hopped with the new year spirit. For some weird reason, I was very excited for this year's Chinese new year, so much so that I invited Nellie and Josephine Bino to a Chinese New Year Dinner.

- I was really thankful that Bino and Nellie were available tonight, and I was thankful that I would be able to spend a (post) new year celebration with friends, apart of course from my direct family.

- We agreed to eat at Tasty tonight around 6:30pm. As I was walking towards Tasty, the soles of my rather old shoes "popped" somewhere near Salazar, and I had to drag myself to Ongpin, hoping really hard that no one would notice my rebellious soles. I dragged myself to a store to buy Chinese good luck ornaments (for my angpao to Nellie and Bino,) and finally dragged myself to the nearby Shopper's Mart, where I met Bino coincidentally. I wanted to look for a pack of Might Bond, but a bigger surprise caught me - Monica and her sister Marnianne. Of course I wouldn't let this pictorial-worthy chance pass by, so I took a photo of us, despite desperately looking for a pack of Mighty Bond.

- Alas, Shopper's Mart ran out of Mighty Bond, and Bino and I had to go to the nearby Mercury Drugstore, where they thankfully had stocks of Mighty Bond. I quickly mended my shoes, and walked towards Tasty.

- Bino and I waited for Nellie, and had a hunch that she came from somewhere else, especially since she wasn't answering her phone. Nellie arrived soon, and we found out that she came from Makati for something.

- I surprised Nellie and Bino with the angpaos I prepared, and they told me that I was "prepared" for new year. (Part of tonight's new year celebration were plates of dumplings, a common dish served during new year.) The angpaos contained the ornaments I bought earlier, and my graduation photos. The angpaos themselves were part of the "presents" since they were cute and pretty too. Haha.

- We talked and talked while finishing our dinner, as always. Nellie didn't run out of words, I didn't run out of reactions, and Bino didn't run out of side comments Typical. Still, we enjoyed each other so much that we decided to have dessert in Cafe Mezzanine.

- We finished dinner rather late, and Cafe Mezzanine was about to close when we arrived there. Instead, we went to President's. Now President's isn't really the best dessert place to go to, since they specialize more on the entrees rather than the dessert. Besides, President's is a bit expensive too. Still, we wanted to see the new President's, since we hadn't gone there since it was renovated.

- The new Presiden'ts preserved a bit of it's historical background, it being a theater before being a large restaurant. (That explained the high ceilings of the unrenovated Presiden'ts.) Now, the ceilings are a bit lower than before, and the new look of the restaurant somehow made me imagine an old China. Around 30's or 40's China, I think.

- The three of us had a big bowl of mango sago, and finished it minutes later. We stayed for a long time even after we paid the bill because we were waiting for Nellie's car to arrive. Well, we really wanted to hang around longer anyway. (And Bino and I ended up hitching a ride with Nellie's car again. Haha.)

- A dinner that was expected to last around two hours ended two hours later than expected. Why? Friendship has no curfew, and the new year celebration doesn't end until the next year stands in the corner. :) :) :) :)

No comments:

Post a Comment