Saturday, November 28, 2015

60 Years of Asian Studies, 60 Years of UP Diliman's Asian Center

- November 25, 2015, Wednesday.

- The UP Asian Center held its "Asian Center Night" in celebration of the 60th year of the UP Asian Center. The banquet, held at the GT Toyota Auditorium, was filled with Asian Center faculty and staff, dignitaries and representatives from some embassies, university officials, alumni and benefactors, current Asian Center students, and alumni.

- I was invited by current dean and my former adviser, Dr. Joefe Santarita, to be the emcee for the night. Since I was also going to the event regardless of the invitation to be the emcee, I agreed. I was asked to put on something colorful, so I decided to put on my Mongolian deel and the necessary accessories (read about my adventures in Mongolia herehere, and here). Little did I know that the tablecloths and chair covers agree with my outfit. Well, at least I fit in with the motif.

Wearing my Mongolian deel.
Perfectly camouflaged.
With Janus and Ivy.
Outside the auditorium.
- After the opening remarks by Dr. Santarita, we proceeded with the history of the Asian Center, as presented by Dr. Matthew Santamaria. The UP Asian Center was established in 1955 as the Institute of Asian Studies. Later on, in 1968, Republic Act 5334 mandated the existence of the institute. In the following years, the early incarnations of the Asian Center lost and finally regained its government mandate. Today, it remains to be the only center/institution in the whole Philippines to have its existence mandated by a government act. From a research institute, it has also become a degree-granting center that provides graduate-level degrees on Asian Studies and Philippine Studies. (See more details in the UP Asian Center website; click here.)

Emcee duties.
Dr. Santarita.
History of the UP Asian Center.
- UP chancellor, Dr. Michael Tan, gave his speech afterwards, mentioning how the Asian Center is 60 years "young." However, there were some people who contributed greatly to the improvements of the Asian Center in the recent years. These people are Dr. George Ty from Toyota Morots, and Director Hiroaki Uesugi from Japan Foundation Manila. They were both awarded with certificates of recognition.

Dr. Michael Tan.
- The color of the night was provided by Kaloob Philippine Music and Dance Ministry. It is a research and performing group, founded and headed by Dr. Eduardo Lapiz, that aims to preserve traditional Philippine music and dances. For the evening, they made the audience travel the Philippines - from north to south, precolonial to colonial - through their collection of dances.

T'boli dance.
Ifugao dance.

Colonial-style manton dance.
Subanon dance.
Singkil - one of my favorite dances.


The ever popular tinikling.

- Dinner was provided afterwards, and the night was capped off by a toast by Prof. Talampas, the current college secretary, and the chair of the anniversary committee. As for me, it was finally time to remove my really heavy deel and change into my "street" clothes before going home.

Picture with the sarimanok - a Maranao symbol, and the symbol of the Asian Center.
- I am very proud to have been part of this center, and I hope that the Asian Center will continue to grow and expand to other fields concerning Asia. My personal journey in the Asian Center was a bittersweet rocky road, but it was worth it. I know many will also agree with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment