Monday, November 30, 2015

Around the World in One Day: The 49th International Bazaar at the PICC Forum

- Nov. 29, 2015, Sunday.

- Bazaars fascinate me, although I don't always attend them because of the big crowds. There are always interesting little (or big) finds in bazaars - from good deals and discounts, to freebies. If there's one bazaar that I always make sure to attend (unless I'm overseas,) it would be the International Bazaar that is always held at the PICC Forum. The one-day bazaar is usually held on the third Sunday of November, but it had to be moved a week later this year due to the APEC series of events that happened last week. To me, the schedule change did not really matter; what mattered most was that the bazaar still pushed through.

Event poster.
- The International Bazaar is perfect for me since the main stalls represent many of the embassies and consulates here in Manila; this event is mainly organized by the spouses of the ambassadors (aka "SHOM," or "Spouses of the Heads of Missions.") Each stall sells traditional products (from food, clothing, handicrafts, etc.) from the countries that the stalls represent. This is what makes it seem like shopping around the world in one day. On top of that, many local traders are also present to sell their unique products.

- I arrived at the bazaar around 10am, and dashed off in no time to the dining area, where, as one might expect, stalls selling international foods are. This is a tactic when going to any bazaar - eating when everyone's not. I was able to comfortably sit on my cushioned chair, with lots of elbow space, and whenever I leave my food on my table to buy more food or drinks, I won't be worried that someone might take my seat away. I had Turkish pastries, an Israeli falafel sandwich, and a box of Vietnamese rice paper rolls. While buying food, I also encountered the Indian ambassador, H.E. Lalduhthlana Ralte, and his daughter Mawi. It still amazes me that they recognize me by face, name, and profession. (It is such an honor. *Insert happy tears.*)

My falafel sandwich with hummus sauce, my Turkish pastres (one with cheese and another with pistachios I think,) and my Vietnamese rice paper rolls.
- After lunch, I moved through the crowd, and realized that this year's embassy participants were less than the previous years (click here for 2013 and here for 2012; I wasn't able to go last year because I was in Taiwan: click herehereherehere, and here.) Some regular participants like Russia, South Korea, Iraq, and Malaysia were not present. Despite this, I was still able to enjoy seeing some representatives and visitors in traditional costumes. munching on free samples, and interacting with embassy representatives. Speaking of embassy representatives, Ms. Angela from the Sri Lankan Embassy recognized me from our previous encounter last year; former ambassador H.E. S.V.G. Gamini Samaranayake gave a talk on political conflict and resolutions in Sri Lanka in the UP Asian Center (click here) to see. I didn't recognize her because she was wearing a sea-blue Sri-Lankan style sari. She informed me about the recent turnover, and she was also kind enough to introduce me to the new ambassador of Sri Lanka to the Philippines, H.E. Aruni Ranaraja. 

Eiffel Towers. How French.
Italian masks and glassware.
Iranian woman selling Persian rugs.
Of course, wouldn't miss this for the world.

Sri Lanka.
Passed by Japan; women in kimonos.
Colombian gold and jewelry.
Lao sticky rice.
Back at the Sri Lankan stall; a Buddhist (or Vishnu-related) statue.
With the new ambassador, H.E. Aruni Ranaraja.
- I went around and bought myself a box of Sri Lankan tea, a handwoven Lao scarf, a new and better-fitting Kuwaiti agal (headscarf fastener.) I also saw Dutch beer, Swiss and Belgian chocolates, French wines and jams, Cambodian shawls, Indonesian batik, Italian glass products, Norwegian salmon and patchworks, Colombian gold, Burmese jade, Japanese kawaii products, and much more. Finally, I visited the Indian booth again to have a photo with the ambassador and his whole family; they were really friendly and accommodating.

With H.E. Lalduhthlana Ralte, ambassador of India to the Philippines. Look, I have a free goodie bag with Indian travel magazines and travel guides.
Hola Espana!!
The Indonesian booth is usually stunning as well.
Henna services at the Pakistani stall.
One of the Dutch representatives in a traditional costume.
Just before buying the agal (head fastener) I was wearing. Thank you costumed Filipino representative from the Kuwaiti Embassy for helping me with my keffiyeh (headscarf.)
With the Incredible Indian family.
- I still can't believe that I must wait another year for the 50th International Bazaar. I never get tired of coming to this bazaar every year because the bazaar has always been a good opportunity to learn about all the countries in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment