Thursday, November 12, 2015

Light Up the World!!: Diwali Mela 2015 in SM Mall of Asia

- Nov. 7, 2015, Saturday.

- Time flies faster than one can imagine, and it didn't occur to me that Diwali has arrived once again. Diwali is the pan-Indian festival of lights, and is celebrated in 5 days. Each day has its own name, significance, and set of rituals. However, the main focus on this post, is the annual public "Diwali Mela" (roughly translated as "Diwali Feast/Fiesta,") organized by various associations of the Metro Manila Indian community, and SM Mall of Asia. (See the Diwali Mela of 2012 here, and 2014 here; wasn't able to go in 2013.)

It's Diwali!!
Lakshmi.
Plenty of Indians.
Krishna and Radha from the ISKCON stall.
Pani puri - one of the most interesting Indians snacks. 
Event poster.
- At first, this year's Diwali Mela seemed to resemble every Diwali Mela in the past - a lot of stalls selling Indian food, and some stalls selling Indian trinkets, snacks, and travel services. The Mela started with the ambassador and the other VIPs offering flowers and candles to the goddess Lakshmi, who happens to be one of the most important deities in Diwali; she is the goddess of wealth, purity, and prosperity. Lakshmi is said to visit and bless those who have lit diyas (clay lamps,) fireworks, firecrackers, and sparklers.

The ambassador and other VIPs.
Doing a puja (offering) for Lakshmi.
- As the performances started, I got to meet my Indian friend Hitesh, and later on, my friend Krissa with her sister. Hitesh had to meet his other Indian friends, so I mainly stayed with Krissa and her sister, and gave them a short "lecture" on Diwali, the Indian culture, and the Metro-Manila Indian community.

Bharatanatyam, one of India's classical dances.
Some kids from the Indian community.
Desi Boyz, one of the mainstays of Indian events in Metro Manila.
With Krissa and her sister.
- Krissa and her sister had to leave after some lighter numbers, but it was then when things started to become more interesting. For one, the Punjabi wonder kid Rahmat (I hope the spelling is correct) was asked to do his solo bhangra number as before. He's a really talented kid, and he always credits his slightly-older sister as his dance instructor.

The Punjabi boy wonder.
He's a real superstar trust me.
The Punjabis can't resist.

Rahmat's sister and cousin; they're superstars too!!
- My favorite part of the night was when the hosts announced that the Indian community organized a multicultural dance, supposedly with dances from 14 states. Towards the last part of this grand performance, however, the last dancer who represented Northeast India was not given a chance to dance; I knew there was a situation going on, but I was not able to find out what happened exactly. Still, the dances from Kashmir, Punjab, Rajasthan, Gujarat, Maharashtra, Goa, Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Kerala, Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, West Bengal, and Sindh (though it's actually in Pakistan now; but a significant population of the Indians in Manila is Sindhi.) This is the first time that I've seen a grand ensemble of Indian dances being done in Manila, and I do hope to see (and for the Filipinos to see) the different aspects of "Indian" culture beyond what everyone sees in Bollywood films.

Kashmiri dance.
Punjabi bhangra dance.
Rajasthani dance.
Gujarati dance.
Marathi dance (from Maharashtra.)

Goan dance; it has Portuguese influences.
Uttar Pradeshi dance.
Madhya Pradeshi dance.
Kerala's Kathakali.
Sindhi dance.
Tamil Nadu's Bharatanatyam.
Andhra PRadeshi dance.
Bengali dance.
- To end the night, the Punjabi bhangra group that everyone was waiting for came out, and everyone just went wild and danced (bhangra-ed?) the night away. This is partying Punjabi style. After the bhangra group finished dancing their actual number, everyone started to leave, though the bhangra group remained to dance and entertain some of those who wished to "party more."

Bhangra-ing the night away!!

A couple version of bhangra. 
Everyone just can't get enough of them.
- As everyone was leaving, I finally got the chance to talk to the current Indian ambassador to the Philippines, H.E. Lalduhthlana Ralte. I cannot believe that he still remembers me, and asked how my classes were; I told him I had just graduated and received my MA degree a few months ago, and am currently teaching in Ateneo de Manila University. What surprised me even more was that his whole family also remembered me. I think I had made an impression when I was the only non-Indian (apart from the embassy staff who were Filipinos) to attend the flag-hoisting ceremony at the ambassador's house (aka "India House") during Republic Day; I was invited to go since I won a contest which was organized by the Indian Embassy (click here to see.)

H.E. L.D. Ralte.
A close-up of Lakshmi. 
Everyone's still going crazy.
- The ambassador soon left, and I did as well, leaving the happy party people with the bhangra dancers. It was quite a hot evening, and the event was done in the non-airconditioned area of MOA. However, I had a lot of fun celebrating Diwali with the Indians "the Indian way." I do hope that the Diwali Mela next year can top this year's Diwali Mela, and I hope that more Filipinos can enjoy Indian things as much as I do.  

No comments:

Post a Comment