Saturday, November 14, 2015

"Utsav": UP Asian Center's Festival of India 2015

- Nov. 10, 2015, Tuesday.

- Two years after the UP Diliman Asian Center's first ever "Festival of India" (click here to see,) a second "Festival of India" showers the Asian Center center with mesmerizing colors and age-old cultures. While the first "Festival of India" is in line with India's Ratha Yatra festival (divine chariot pulling,) the "Festival of India" this 2015 is entitled "Utsav" (one of the Hindi words for "celebration") and is in line with this year's Diwali festival. Diwali is the festival of lights, and some Hindus consider it as the new year. (Click here to see this year's Diwali Mela held in SM Mall of Asia, to have a better idea on Diwali.)

Event poster.
- This year, I was not able to attend the whole-day event since I had classes to teach in the afternoon. I was also wondering why they held the event on a Tuesday, instead of a weekend, when more people are surely more available. Despite this, a good number of students and other visitors attended the event.

- Right before the event, I was seated behind incumbent UP chancellor, Dr. Michael Tan, and the ambassador of India to the Philippines, H.E. Lalduhthlana Ralte. While both of them were talking, the ambassador suddenly faced me and introduced me to Dr. Michael Tan. I found that funny and ironic, since I am a UP graduate, and with that thought it would be more sensible for the chancellor to introduce me to the ambassador - however, the reverse took place. I was not too sure what they were talking about, but I was pleasantly surprised when it happened. It was an honor to know that the ambassador recognizes me, and that he knew and understood my passion and enthusiasm towards his country.

- The festival started with a ceremonial lighting of the oil lamps, and the remarks by Dr. Michael Tan,  H.E. L.D. Ralte, and Dr. Joefe Santartia, current dean of the UP Asian Center, and my MA adviser. Afterwards, a short opening bhajan (devotional song) and a Carnatic song (South-Indian style,) both facilitated by Ms. Mythili Balasubramanium.

Ceremonial lighting.

H.E. L.D. Ralte.
Dr. Joefe Santarita.
Carnatic music.
- The highlight of the morning session was the Bharatanatyam by Ms. Priya from Natya Mandala. Natya Mandala is the Philippines' first Bharatanatyam dance group, headed and usually choreographed by Ms. Shanti Sreedhar; I was fortunate to have attended one of their previous performances, during Swami Vivekananda's birthday (click here to see,) As for Bharatanatyam, it is an Indian dance originally from the southern state of Tamil Nadu, but is widely practiced even by non-Tamils in India and abroad.

Ms. Priya from Natya Mandala.
Bharatanatyam has a lot of stomping.
A quick "Nataraja" pose. I was a split-second late.
End of dance.
- Before the cultural workshops started the ambassador became an "instant celebrity," with people lining up to talk to him and take photos with him. In my case, I just did a quick small talk with him, and handed him my new professional calling card before leaving the event to go to work.

With H.E. Lalduhthlana Ralte. It's an honor to have spoken to you, and a bigger honor to know that you remember me.
With Ms. Priya and Ms. Mythili. My Indian costume fits in!!
- I know I missed a lot after I left, like the yoga session, music performances, the Bollywood dance workshop, and the screening of one of the most well-loved internationally-targeted Bollywood films - "Three Idiots." I also missed the free vegetarian lunch (boo.)

- India truly is incredible, and despite its flaws (and any country has its own,) I cannot describe the whole of India with any other word. It is one of the countries to have successfully preserved its cultures and traditions locally and through its overseas communities, while continuing to develop, modernize, and compete well in different fields and sectors. I do hope that more people will learn about and understand India, and UP Asian Center's "Festival of India" is one of the ways that India's wonder is brought to the Filipinos.

No comments:

Post a Comment