Thursday, July 30, 2026

A Fast Trip to Belfast (Part 1): No Way, It's the Giant's Causeway!!

- July 1-2, 2026, Wednesday to Thursday.


- It was a fast trip from Dublin to Belfast! Well, a two-hour train ride, that is. Belfast is the capital of Northern Ireland. Just to clarify, for some, although Northern Ireland is the northern part of Ireland (the island), Northern Ireland is geopolitically is part of the UK, and is not part of the Republic of Ireland. In a nutshell, the Partition of Ireland happened in 1921 when some parts of the island wanted to remain British, and others wanted to be an independent country. So yes, I was finally back in the UK, and the "borderless" transport between Ireland and Northern Ireland made everything smooth. I did not have to pass through any kind of immigration officer; I just hopped on the train and that was it!

- I walked through the city center to reach my accommodation called The Edge. It's actually a student flat with some units being available for short-stay bookings during the summer term. It's very near Ulster University, and is literally at the "edge" of the city center. It can honestly be a bit of a walk from here to everywhere else, but as far as this flat was concerned, I loved it so much (and it has air conditioning!!)

Assembly Buildings, headquarters of the Presbyterian Church in Ireland. 

Belfast City hall.

Belfast has many intertwining shopping streets north of the City Hall. This part is somewhere in Corn Market, with the "Spirit of Belfast" standing in the middle.

Just to let you know I'm here haha.

This is my flat. Too bad I'm only staying here for a short time!

- Just like in Galway, my first day was spent out of the city. I booked a tour with GetYoutGuide to see the Giant's Causeway. But before that, we started our day by visiting Carrickfergus Castle. Carrickfergus is one of the oldest towns across the whole of Ireland. Its castle was built in the 12th century, and likewise, is one of the oldest and best preserved castles in Ireland. Although we were asked to only go around the castle as we didn't have time to go inside and explore, seeing the castle gave me some warmth in my heart. I've long known about the Irish folk song called "Carrickfergus", and for the longest time I thought it was some mystical place, not knowing that it a was very real place that I could visit - and that I WOULD be able to visit it one day. So there I was, singing the song in my head while staring at the castle (after taking my photos of course haha.)

Carrickfergus Castle.

Castle gate.

"I wish I was....in Carrickfergus....where the castle....looks out to sea...." (at least, this is how it goes in the Charlotte Church version. of the song.)

Memorial.

William of Orange (William III.)

- We later drove to Glencloy and visited Carnlough Harbour. It was a trading port in the 19th century, and has a nice view of the sea. More recently, it is known for being one of the filming locations of Game of Thrones.

Calm waters.

Do you know the Krusty Krab? Yes, this is what it really is: a lobster trap.

Another look at the habor.

So here is the scene in Game of Throne....

....and this is me.

- For lunch, we stopped over at Fullerton Arms. Although it appears to be a regular pub, it was one of the fortunate recipients of the wooden doors used in Game of Thrones! There are around eight of these doors all across Northern Ireland, often in the most unexpected of places.

Oh we also had a brief stopover at Portaneevey lookout. It is a protected zone for ecological purposes.

There is a rope bridge for those who want to make it down there.

Fullterton Arms, where they don't only serve good food, but also....

....they welcome you with this authentic Game of Thrones door!

- After lunch we headed to the Giant's Causeway. Basalt columns were naturally formed through volcanic activity millions of years ago. Legend has it though, that giants made these columns; why or who specifically made the columns depend on which legend you come across, as there are many stories surrounding this place. Be careful when walking around or climbing the rocks because the winds and the waves can be unpredictable!

They look like playdough.

Yes, everything is natural.

The mountain, clouds, and sunlight? - Unpaid actors.

Climbing the stones feels like being in a video game.

It was incredibly difficult to take nice photos with the columns - there was just a lot of people, and lot of wind!!

I am the giant.

- We had a brief stopover at Dunluce Castle, before dropping by at the Old Bushmills Distillery. Old Bushmills Distillery was established in the 18th century and is still producing some of the best whiskeys in Northern Ireland today.

Dunluce Castle, built in the 13th century, and has been abandoned since the 17th century from battles and storms.

Old Bushmills Distillery.

We didn't get to go inside the actual distillery, but we saw quite a bit going around the buildings.

Distillery buildings from afar.

- Finally, we dropped by a seemingly ominous place called the "Dark Hedges". The name comes from the road lined with beech trees, whose branches have seemed to intertwine, making the pathway a bit darker and shadier. This place only gained popularity after Game of Thrones used this as the "King's Road". Whether you're a fan of the series or not, it does make a nice backdrop!

Dark Hedges. "They're not hedges, and they're not dark," said our tour guide.

From this angle, they remind me of the "tree of life", an important symbol in Celtic culture.

Intertwining branches.

I think the movie was shot from this angle.

OMG ANOTHER DOOR!! This authentic Game of Thrones door can be found at The Hedges Hotel, which is where were parked and went to see the hedges. I was looking for the toilet when I saw this door.

Back in Belfast, I was looking for a toilet here at Victoria Square, a nice shopping center.

- We arrived in Belfast an hour or so after leaving the Dark Hedges. I got so much more than what I had hoped to see and experience in the tour. Although the Giant's Causeway is one of the main things people visit Belfast for, seeing Belfast itself is just as important - and that's the next on my to-do list! 

No comments:

Post a Comment