- July 11, 2026, Saturday.
- London is just too big to run out of things to do! Even within the city center, it's not impossible to find a museum, a church, a restaurant (**quality may dependdddd), or some quirky shopping street. Fort his day, I realized later on that the theme revolved around different interpretations of the word "royalty."
- In the early morning, I visited Buckingham Palace again. But this time, I had my ticket to go inside the palace (BEST TO BOOK TICKETS BEFOREHAND! They may sell out for the day!). The palace is only open during the summer season, so even though I was burning in the heat, I'm glad I had to chance to go inside! The palace was built in the 18th century and is the main administrative building of the British royalty. The state apartments take center stage in the palace, and like most major palaces, photography was not allowed inside. I could tell you, however, that the rooms were as majestic as you'd imagine them to be! The only proof I had that I was able to go inside, was that I was able to take a photo of the palace from the gardens, which can only be accessed through entering the palace.
 |
| A palace guard. |
 |
| Hello again, Buckingham. |
 |
This is where people usually take photos with the palace.
 I saw the Goodyear blimp!! And honestly I'm not sure if this is my first time to see a blimp in person. If it was, at least I have photographic evidence! If not, I can at least assure myself that I have seen a Blimp in person!! |
 |
| Spot the not. Hahahaha. |
 |
| View of the palace from the garden. |
- I later rode the tube from Victoria to Notting Hill Gate to visit Notting Hill. To non-British people, Notting Hill is probably best known for the movie Notting Hill, and the bookshop where the movie filmed. The movie was starred by Hugh Grant and Julia Roberts, both Hollywood royalties in their own rights (Hugh Grant, by the way, is distantly related to the actual British royal family!!)
 |
| Notting Hill Bookshop. I didn't bother going in but this was where the movie was filmed. |
- Notting Hill is also known for its colorful houses, and each street has houses with a certain uniform look. The houses used to be neutral in color, but in the 1960s and 1970s, residents decided to start painting them in lively colors to add character to the old houses. More recently, however, many residents are reconsidering neutral colors for their houses as many tourists have vandalized, trespassed, or violated the privacy of the residents.
 |
| Colville Houses. |
 |
| Colville Terrace. |
 |
| The Colville Houses are a bit more compact and easier to take photos of. |
 |
| Lancaster Road. |
 |
| Potobello Road. |
 |
| Towards the end of Portobello Road, close to Pembridge Road on the way to Notting Hill Gate Station, one can find the former house of George Orwell. |
 |
| Just so you're not lost, they have conveniently placed this marker outside the house. |
- The main reason I went there was to visit the Portobello Road Market. I underestimated how loooong the market was! It spanned several blocks, and had stalls and stores selling vintage/second-hand items, handicrafts, souvenirs, snacks, and drinks. The only thing I got to buy was a platter of Filipino food because I just needed some non-British food after almost a month.
 |
| Portobello Road Market. |
 |
| At some point, there is an area dedicated to food. Immediately gravitated to this stall! |
 |
| Lechon and rice omg how I missed you. |
- When I felt I had walked enough at Portobello Road Market, I finally made my way Notting Hill Gate Station and rode the tube to Piccadilly Circus. Right outside is the Criterion Theatre, and was showing Titanique. Now Titanique was not really part of my plans, and when I was planning my trip, I had to make the hard decision to choose between Les Miserables and Titanique. Of course I had to choose Les Miserables even though the story was quite heavy. But lo and behold, I suddenly realized that I had this much time on a Saturday afternoon, so I booked my ticket just the day before. Prices were not bad too. Thankfully, there were still good seats for me to choose from!
 |
| I'M HERE, THERE'S NOTHING TO FEAR. |
 |
| WHAT DID I SAY TO TAKING CHANCES, WHAT DID I SAY TO JUMPING OFFFFF THE EDGGGEEEEE. |
- The theatre itself was built in the 1800s and I find it different because the whole theater is underground. As for the musical, Titanique, I was interested in it because it was made to be a parody of Titanic (yes, the 1997 movie), and Celine Dion as a celebrity - a pop start royalty to be specific! To summarize, the music is about the Titanic narrated from a (fictional) Celine Dion's perspective. Astrid Harris, who played Celine Dion, was perfect casting. She looked the part, acted the part, and boy did she sing the part too!! I was in tears throughout the show because this was the closest I've gotten to watching Celine Dion (the real one) live. It was just so convincing even though she was acting in an exaggeratedly comedic way (which was necessary for the show). The role of Ruth (Rose's mother) was played by William Hanson during my show. William Hanson is more popularly recognized as the content creator who teaches people proper etiquette. This was his West End debut!
 |
| Underground theater. |
 |
| With a big "Heart of the Ocean" taking center stage. |
 |
| Curtain call! (Of course we weren't allowed to film the show!) |
 |
| How can I convince you that this is NOT the real Celine Dion? (It's Astrid Harris.) |
 |
| William Hanson, the etiquette content creator! |
 |
| Shall we go for ittt???? (Pounds chest.) |
- It was definitely a wild day, I literally went around in a circle in London on a burning Saturday! But I could truly say this was one of the most memorable days I had in my trip. While Buckingham and Notting Hill were amazing places to visit, I'm really glad I let my "Type A planner" self give a bit of wiggle room to some spontaneity - who knew my last-minute decision to watch Titanique would literally make my day a thousand times better?
No comments:
Post a Comment