Saturday, August 8, 2026

Live, Laugh, London (Part 4): Stones, Thrones, and Bathing Romans

- July 10, 2026, Friday.

- The moment I knew that I was going to the UK, one of the must must must see things in my bucket list was the Stonehenge. Despite its appearance as a pile of stones, it is historical beyond memory, in the middle of nowhere, and as magical as it is cultural. What's not to like? (For me, at least.) I might not have had time to see the other cities in England, but I was determined to at least dedicate a day to the Stonehenge.

- There are a couple of Stonehenge tours in GetYourGuide, and I picked the one that also went to the Roman Baths (another must see!), and Windsor Castle. For a hefty price, the tour promises to go to these three locations with one concern from most people: timing. Based on how these three places are located, most people would either go to one or two of these places. But all three in a day with a big bus tour? It can be a hit or miss, depending on how punctual your tourmates are. I took the chance anyway - and boy did I not have any regrets!

- After we all met at the meeting place near Gloucester Road, we immediately went to Bath, in Somerset. The City of Bath was named after the Roman Baths built by the Romans in the 1st century during Roman Britain. The baths continue to be filled with natural spring water even until today, although swimming in them has been prohibited since the 1970s. It was since turned into an archaeological museum. The museum does not only show artefacts, but also the baths themselves and other facilities like saunas built by the Romans.

Bath Abbey, just outside the Roman baths.

Bath Abbey front.

What's left of the Sulis Minerva temple.

This is Sulis Minerva. Sulis is a Celtic goddess whom the Romans thought of as the counterpart for Minerva. The baths were dedicated to her.

The Roman baths!

Roman sauna.

And there were two museum staff (I think) dressed up as Romans! They greeted people in Latin!

View of Bath Abbey while walking along the street to the meeting point.

North Parade Bridge.
   
- We hurriedly left Bath after our whole group met at the meeting place, and off we went to the main highlight of the day: the Stonehenge. Upon arriving at the Stonehenge, we had the option to either ride the shuttle bus or walk from the entrance to the Stonehenge. Given the heat and the distance, most decided to take the shuttle buses whose sole purpose was to go between the Stonehenge and the entrance. The Stonehenge, technically, is located in the middle of nowhere. The Stonehenge has existed for more than 5000 years. It was built in phases from 3100BCE to 1500BCE. No one knows how the stones got there or how they were built with the technology that existed at that time, because they were too big and heavy. We do know though that it was used as a burial site, and as a big calendar. The stones align especially with the summer and winter equinoxes. 

There they are, seemingly unbothered by thousands of years of history.

And I still cannot believe I am here!!

In the past, there was no barricade and anyone can really just go up and touch or climb on the stones. Obviously that's not possible anymore.

The stones look so different from various angles!

Would be surreal to be able to approach the stones, or see them during the equinoxes!

- The Stonehenge also had a visitors' center, but I wasn't able to see it anymore because we were in a hurry to leave. It didn't matter, I still maximized my time at the Stonehenge so I was happy. 

- Our final stop for the day was Windsor Castle, and this was located closer to London. It was built in the 11th century and is the biggest and longest occupied castle in the world. It is also known as the residence of the late Queen Elizabeth II before she passed away in 2022. The main things to see there are the state apartments and the St. George's Chapel (where Queen Elizabeth II was laid to rest). Photography, unfortunately, is not allowed indoors.

Windsoooooor Castle.

The Round Tower, which currently holds the Royal Archives!

The Upper Ward, which has more private apartments.

Outside St. George's Chapel.

Castle gate.

Queen Victoria, outside the castle.

On the way to Windsor and Eton Central Station. Our bus was parked outside the station.

Queen Steam Locomotive.

- That evening, we were able to return to London slightly earlier than scheduled. I had a nice stroll and an Uyghur dinner before returning to the hostel.

Uyghur food for dinner, reminded me of my trip to Central Asia last Christmas!

Peppa and George!! <3 <3 <3 <3

- The day went so much better than expected because the whole bus cooperated with the timing. That was something rare, so much so that our tour guide was impressed because not only were we punctual, but we were usually early. That meant an earlier departure from one spot, and extra time in the next spot. More importantly, I was able to squeeze in the Roman Baths and Windsor Castle even if my main goal was to visit the Stonehenge! This gave me some hope for bus tours (which I generally dislike) - at least, as long as you're with very cooperative tourists!!     

No comments:

Post a Comment