Wednesday, August 5, 2026

Spots in Scotland (Part 1): The Colors of Edinburgh

- July 4, 2026, Saturday.

- Scotland was one of the places the surprised me the most. Yes, I did my research, and yes I did know about kilts, haggis, and bagpipes long before. But Edinburgh, particularly, was a lot more colorful than I had ever imagined!

- I arrived on the 4th after an early one-hour flight from Belfast. From the airport, it was an easy tram ride all the way to Princes Street station (the tram is only one line, so it's impossible to get lost unless you're headed in the wrong direction). From here, I realized part of the challenge of going around hilly Edinburgh: the city has high and low parts. I was instantly reminded of cities like Lisbon in Portugal, or Luxembourg City in Luxembourg, even San Francisco in the USA. The New Town of Edinburgh lies lower, while the Royal Mile and the rest of the old town are elevated.


I finally made it!

- After leaving my luggage at CODE the Court, which is a modern and decent hostel in the middle of the Royal Mile, I just rolled myself out of the hostel and visited St. Giles' Cathedral. Built in the 12th century, the church is mainly remembered not just as a central cathedral in Edinburgh, but also the main site of the Scottish Reformation in the 16th century. It was at this time when Scotland became a primarily Protestant country instead of Catholic.    

St. Giles' Cathedral. (And in case you noticed it, yes I had to wear something tartan because it's Scotland haha.)

Got distracted by this bagpiper playing across the church. It was my first time to see a bagpiper up close, but not my first time to see a bagpiper. In Edinburgh, I think there is a bagpiper in every block or every other block. Just imagine how it sounds like when they all play at the same time haha. 

Back at St. Giles'.

John Knox, who headed the Scottish Reformation.

Prayer hall.

Robert Burns window.

Saints' Window.

From across the street. St. Giles' Cathedral is at the left side. 

- I dedicated part of the day to explore the New Town side of Edinburgh, beginning with a visit to the Scott Monument. This easy-to-spot tower is one of the tallest monuments dedicated to a writer. Finished in 1846, it was dedicated to Sir Walter Scott (so though the monument is in Scotland, it was not named after Scotland.) 

View of the Old Town from the New Town.

It looks like a painting.

Scott Monument.

From up close.

This is very near the street.

- I took time to have a quick lunch at Jollibee, just in case there was something different here from the one in Wales. I discovered that it had the same menu - but it's still Jollibee so what's not to like, right? Jollibee is located across the Western corner of Princess Street Gardens, near other stores and restaurants. (There were also lots of mobile phone stores along the street, which was convenient for me because I had to change my phone's screen protector that cracked earlier that day.) 

Tastes like home.

In true Jollibee fashion, just like in the Philippines, it's usually located near a McDonald's, its main competitor.

- The Scottish National Gallery was up next in my day's itinerary. It was built in 1859 and mainly features works by European artists. I whizzed through the paintings since I'm not really a paintings person and I had much on my list that I was looking forward to more. 

National Gallery.

"The Progress of a Soul" by Phoebe Anna Traquair, a four-panel tapestry artwork. I like these panels so much! 

Endless galleries!

Monet!!

Van Gogh!!

- I walked across back to the Old Town and visited the National Museum of Scotland. The current museum is a mix of two museums; the older dates back to 1866 and the newer ones in 1998. As a whole, they show artefacts from Scotland and elsewhere in the world. This merger explains why the layout and its contents may appear confusing. One of the most famous "residents" of the museum is Dolly the sheep. Dolly was the first successfully cloned mammal; she lived from 1996 to 2003.

Along Princes Street, on the way back to the old town. The clock tower is from the historic Balmoral Hostel, and the monument at the back is the National Monument of Scotland. 

I did not have time to visit the monument on the hill, so a zoomed in photo sufficed.

North Bridge, above Edinburgh Waverley Station.

At one of the entrances of the museum.

This museum is huge!

Dolly the sheep!!

This museum is wild I swear. One minute it's archaeology, the next minute a giant flying plane.

Guillotine.

At the Scottish side of the museum.

The museum has a lot of natural light!

As usual, another museum, another Egyptian gallery.

So many animals!!

A dodo.

The skull of Moby the whale. Yes, that's his actual name.
The Millennium Clock Tower, which first chimed in January 1, 2000 (hence, the name.)

- I spent a bit of time exploring the streets of Edinburgh. Although the city generally looks "brown" because of its old buildings, many of its stores are painted with bright colors. I also got to buy a kilt set from Edinburgh Kilts and Souvenirs; their kilts and accessories were a bit more expensive than other souvenir stores, but they are extremely well-stocked and so it's easy to find the perfect accessories that match the kilt. (No photography was allowed in the store, but I'll talk more about my kilt in the next post since I'll be wearing it then!) I also passed by one of my favorite streets in Edinburgh: Victoria Street. They say that this street was the inspiration for Diagon Alley in J. K. Rowling's Harry Potter books. J. K. Rowling also wrote Harry Potter in one of the cafes along that street (will post about this in a separate post!) 

Greyfriars Bobby, located outside Greyfriars Kirkyard Cemetery and across the National Museum. It is said that this dog from the mid-1800s, named Bobby, guarded its owner's grave for 14 years until Bobby's own passing. People touch its nose for good luck. 

Victoria Street.

I'm so glad I wore something colorful. (But when did I not?)

From the upper side of Victoria Street. (It slopes down.)

Another block, another bagpiper.

This is actually pronounced "couwh-burn", not how you think it's pronounced haha.

Cockburn Street is another shopping street, but not as lively as Victoria Street. 

- In my haste to do everything, I realized that I had more than enough time in the afternoon, so I went ahead and visited the National Portrait Gallery ("National Galleries Scotland: Portrait"). It opened in 1889, the museum has been home to paintings and photos of important people in Europe, especially in Scotland. The gallery is located along Queen Street in the New Town.

National Gallery.

Building interior.

Galleries of portaits.

Each room has its own character.

Philantropist Andrew Carnegie. If you know Carnegie Hall in New York City, yes, it was named after him. He is Scottish-American by the way.

Winston Churchill, former Prime Minister of Britain. 

Bust of William Ernest Henley, who is most commonly known for his poem, "Invictus."

Library.

- Since I was already in Scotland, one of the dishes I had longed to try was haggis. Haggis is made from sheep's innards and other ingredients, cooked inside its stomach. It is usually served in the appearance of a patty, together with mashed potato. Honestly, I loved it because it reminded me of McDonald's longganisa (if you're familiar with the breakfast menu of McDonald's Philippines) crossed with a lighter version of the Philippine sisig. I had my first haggis at Makars Gourmet Mash Bar Company. It's one of the best places to get haggis in Edinburgh!   

On the way back to the Old Town, just wanted to take a photo of the view.

Heart of Midlothian, built in the early 1300s to mark the entrance of the old tolbooth (municipal house.) The building was demolished in the early 1800s, but the heart on the cobblestone road remains.

The Supreme Courts.

Finally haggis at Makars!! (The dark brown layer in the middle is the haggis.)

Makars!

- My first day in Edinburgh was well spent, but it surely was not enough to take in the whole of Edinburgh, and its literal "highs" and "lows" (given the layout of the city). I am beginning to understand why some people are so fascinated with Edinburgh; the views, the colors, the sounds just give the city so much character. But wait until I add more character to Edinburgh in a kilt!!

No comments:

Post a Comment