Sunday, June 24, 2012

Be(bim) My(eon) Guest!!: Korean Food Afternoon




- June 24, 2012, Sunday.

- No one was around this afternoon, and I thought of inviting a few neighbors to my house for a small get together. I decided to make some bibim myeon, a kind of Korean noodle dish, mainly because I really wanted to dispose the leftover kim/nori and the big box of gojujang (chili paste) in the fridge. Well, it was also a nice excuse to bring some friends over to share some food.

- Of all the people I invited, only one was able to come - my ever so loyal just-above-our-floor neighbor, Charmaine. When Charmaine rang the doorbell, I had just finished assembling my bibim myeon, and was sitting in the fridge; bibim myeon can be served cold, and is usually served that way.

- I quickly changed into my hanbok, set the table, played some traditional Korean music (and soon, some K-Pop,) and pulled out the big bottle of Korean wheat milk from the fridge. I also brought out the Korean doll Charmaine gave to me a few years back, just to add a bit of "Korean-ness" to the table.

-I thought of making "octopus-shaped hotdogs" to add to the table. These were just hotdogs that were cut to sort of look like octopi when cooked. Nothing fancy.

- Charmaine and I spend a good hour talking and sharing the bowl of bibim myeon. We both hoped that next time, more people would be able to join us for sweet-nothing cultural get-togethers, like today's bibim myeon afternoon, or some of my previous photoshoots for significant (usually Asian) celebrations.

No comments:

Post a Comment