Friday, August 28, 2026

Wide-Eyed in Kansai!! (Part 2): Doe You Know the Way to Nara, My Deer?

- August 21, 2026, Friday.

- If there's a place in Japan I've been to that I feel can make one feel like a Disney princess, that wouldn't be one of Japan's Disney parks, but rather, the ancient city of Nara! One of the biggest tourist magnets of Nara are the native deer that have become so accustomed to humans that they are not afraid to see people come close to them. But beyond the (usually) tame deer, Nara is a haven for historical sites especially since it was Japan's capital in the 8th century. 

- From Namba Station, there is a direct train to Nara, making it so convenient for me since I was staying in Osaka's Dotonbori area. The trip is around 30 minutes long. Ride the train to Kinetsu-Nara Station, which is close to Nara Park, where most of the main tourist sites are. I was so excited to go back to Nara since I only had a short half-day rushed visit to Nara more than a decade ago; my family and I were part of a big bus tour. This time, my DIY day trip to Nara allowed me to explore the city a bit more! 

- Upon arriving at Nara, I rode an Uber to Todaiji Temple. Now, I rode Uber a couple of times during the day despite short distances between places because Nara Park isn't flat. Nara Park is actually at the base of a mountain, so the sites require a bit of a hike between them. The heat also made the hike more difficult, so I might as well ride a car between places when I can, and the prices aren't too expensive since they're near anyway.

Did not take long for me to see the deer!

I honestly was tempted to wear a headband with antlers just to "fit in", but I remembered that male deer (those with the long antlers) like to fight each other. Just to play it safe, I didn't.

....However, this cheeky deer probably thought I was a giant leaf and began chewing on my new yukata!! I'm glad it didn't get damaged!!

These deer don't have a care in the world. They know they're cute and they know people often find them to pet them or take photos with them. These deer even know how to bow to people (as the Japanese do, at least)!!

- Todaiji Temple is one of the city's main temples, and was built in the mid-8th century. It is known for housing the Daibutsu, or Great Buddha, which is one of the world's largest bronze Buddha statues. It is also supported by two serene-looking statues, Kokuzo-Bosatsu (Wisdom) to the left, and Nyoirin-Kannon (Compassion) to the right. Todaiji can get REALLY crowded as this is often the first if not the only place people go to in Nara. I made sure to arrive early to beat the crowd!!

Todaiji.

It's almost impossible to get a shot like this. This is considering I thought I arrived late. I should've arrived a bit earlier. This was around 8:30AM? Todaiji opens around 7:30AM in the summer.

Kokuzo-Bosatsu and Daibutsu.

Daibutsu.

Now with Nyoirin-Kannon.

Details of the main hall.

Silhouette.

Todaiji is also known for its guardians at the gate. This is Agyo. 

Sleeping deer.

This other guardian is Ungyo.

These deer are hanging out near one of the many stalls selling deer crackers. But crackers from them and the deer will be chasing you for them!! I think this is the only time that the deer become a bit more aggressive since everyone wants to have a bite!!

- I rode another car going to Kasuga Taisha. This 8th-century temple is the main Shinto temple of the once-powerful Fujiwara clan. This temple is notable for its bronze lanterns and stone lanterns. Entrance to the temple is free, but going to the "special" part of the temple (where all the nice things to see are) require a minimal entrance fee. One of the most interesting parts of this area is the Fujinami-no-ya is, which is a dark room with flickering bronze lanterns.

Deer with stone lanterns.

Bronze lanterns.

Of course I had to be in the middle of everything.

More stone lanterns.

Inside Fujinami-no-ya.

A nice tourist took this photo. Thank goodness for airdrop!

Main shrine.

With stone lanterns.

This time with a deer too!

- I proceeded to the Nara National Museum closer to the city center, and highlights Buddhist art. I think this is one of the younger historical sites in the area, as it was established only in 1889. 

Nara National Museum.

Temple guards.

Kannon.

Temple guardians.

Outside the Buddhist Sculptures Hall of the museum.

- Across the museum is a small shrine called Himuro Shrine (Himuro Jinja). Built in the early 8th century, it is dedicated to the kami for ice. It is said to probably be the only Shinto shrine dedicated to the ice god. It was created during a time when making and preserving ice were incredibly difficult due to lack of refrigeration technology.

Himuro Shrine.

Maine shrine.

They're just there near the mist fans. Smart way to cool off.

- On the way back to the train station, I also passed by Kofukuji Temple. Established in the 7th century, it was another one of the temples established by the Fujiwara clan. Currently the some parts of the temple are being renovated, so I was not able to see some buildings, especially the pagoda. I was able to go to the central hall (Chu-kondo) and the South Octagonal Hall.

Eastern Hall. (The grey building at the right side of the photo is supposed to be the 5-story pagoda, but it's currently covered for renovations.)

Central Hall.

I think it's my first time to see a wild cicada??

South Octagonal Hall.

- It was already in the middle of the afternoon and I realized I hadn't had lunch, so I dropped by at Higashimuki Shopping Street to have some ramen for lunch. I suddenly discovered Kamukura Ramen, a chain restaurant which apparently has been around since the late 1800s in Osaka (so it's funny that I stumbled upon Kamukura in Nara first instead of Osaka!)

Soup on a hot day isn't a good idea, but I really needed something soothing, and it was the first restaurant I saw. Honestly, a gem!! (Dare I say, stand aside, Ichiran!!)

- I rode the train back to Osaka and rested for the afternoon until it was time for dinner. I went back to Dotonbori to eat at American, which I like to describe as the Japanese interpretation of western food. I have eaten here before and I find the food interesting and colorful!

Had "Italian" spaghetti, cream soda, and pudding sundae. 

Yes, this is literally the name.

- A visit to Nara was a good way to reconnect with nature while appreciating history and culture. I feel I would have loved walking around more if not for the heat. I may consider going back to Nara in the future, not only for the deer, but also for some of the place I did not get to see, or see fully. For now, I'll be happy to see other places I haven't been to in Japan!


No comments:

Post a Comment