Wednesday, October 26, 2011

"My First Real Diwali": The Third Wheel, The AIESEC People, The Real Deal!!




- October 26, 2011, Wednesday, Diwali.

- Diwali is the Indian festival of lights, thanksgiving, and triumph. It's also the only Indian holiday I celebrate, despite not being Indian. I wanted this year's diwali to be special, although I couldn't think of a much more "authentic" way than to visit good-ole Little India. I invited my friend Marga, but my other friend Melissa wanted to tag along too, so I let her. (She told me that she badly missed Marga, and she wanted to see how diwali is celebrated; Melissa has a lot of Indian friends from school, so she's quite familiar with the Indian culture/s.)

- The three of us met at around 1pm at the UN LRT Avenue station, and headed towards the Hindu Temple at the far end of the Mahatma Gandhi Street. Oh right, I wore my short sherwani today and a matching scarf, so I'd "belong" with the other nicely-dressed Indians.

- One of the staff, Ate Narcing, seemed to be toooooooooooo happy today. I saw her (by-far) biggest smile, and she even took time to accompany us to the prayer hall, and gave us some prasad (food offerings that are being given to people too.) I was also glad that she was familiar with my face. After all, I've been visiting the Hindu Temple for a number of times since my first "adventure" there with my friend Tina last 2008.

- Like always, I explained and cited stories of the gods and saints present in the temple. Today was also the first time that I talked to an Indian in Hindi, and the Indian wasn't surprised. I always get surprised looks from Indians when I talk to them in Hindi.

- After taking some snaps, we walked to the line of busy groceries across Unilever, so I could shop for what I needed to shop, and buy some sweets and samosas for Melissa and Marga to try. I'm glad that Assad and the other groceries had supply of Amul Kool rose milk and cardamom milk. Haha.

- While having a heavy "snack" in Assad Cafe, Marga received a text from Mady, the VP of AIESEC Philippines, to text a certain Hitesh Suthal, who was alone in the Philippines for diwali. Being as enthusiastic as I can be, I taught Marga how to greet in Hindi. Hitesh replied quickly, and through a few text exchanges, we found out that Hitesh was planning to visit the Hindu Temple this evening. Overjoyed with excitement, Marga and I asked permission if we could accompany him, which Hitesh soon agreed.

- Melissa had to go home that afternoon to do some errands I think, but Marga and I chose to hang out in Robinson's Place while waiting for Hitesh. On the way to Robinson's, we came across Miguel, a semi-long-lost friend who we haven't seen/spoken to/hung out with for quite some time. (I saw him last year during my birthday celebration with Karel.) Apparently, Miguel was on his way home.

- Marga and I went around RP for about an hour and a half, before going back to UN, and waited for Hitesh to arrive. We first waited at Times Plaza, and later, at McDonald's, where Hitesh wanted us to meet.

- At around 7:45, we met Hitesh, and surprisingly, Mady. We exchanged brief initial greetings, and rode a trike to the Hindu Temple.

- The Hindu Temple was definitely more colorful, bedazzled, and alive. Hindus came in and out with their new saris, salwar kameezes, sherwanis, and other nice clothes. I also came across Ashok Maharaj, who I think still recognized me from my multiple encounters with the nice man. It was also nice to see Baba Kartasi singing chants, and playing the harmonium (a kind of keyboard-accordion instrument.)

- Hitesh kindly explained to us the significance of diwali, and narrated excerpts from the Ramayana - a story quite dear and memorable to my heart. Hitesh told us that we missed the grand prayer (sort of like the Catholic/Christian mass I assume,) since we arrived a bit late. Instead, Hitesh taught us how to do a simple puja. It was also during that time when I found out that Hitesh was an Indian from Jaipur, and Mady was a Pakistani Muslim from Karachi.

- Seeing both Mady and Hitesh together, good friends respecting each other's culture/s and religion almost made me tear up. I was touched to see both of them like that, because I thought that if that same respect and friendship was observe at a massive scale earlier on, then the Pakistan-Indian conflicts might have ended differently. Well, no one can change history, but the example of Hitesh and Mady's friendship might lead to a better future.

- After doing the simple puja, we were given some prasad (again) by the kind lady outside with her nice chestnut-chocolate salwar kameez. She seemed to be a very jolly, old woman.

- The four of us went downstairs to light the candles, the "most symbolic" part of diwali. I was excited to light my first diwali candle, well, since I haven't experienced a "real diwali" before.

- After lighting the candles, we hung out at the temple, and just kept talking until Htiesh made us realize that the LRT might close in a few minutes. We continued our talk during the long walk to the station, and finally said our (temporary, I hope) goodbyes at the LRT station. Hitesh and Mady were EDSA-bound, while Marga and I were North-bound.

- My legs right now are very tired. I had been walking since this morning, but all that walking was worth it after celebrating such an awesome diwali. I never expected this year's diwali to be "more authentic," since the initial plan was only up to my afternoon adventure with Marga and Melissa. Meeting Hitesh and Mady tonight also gave me more insight on South Asian cultures, but more importantly, Marga and I made two new friends. Since the possibility of NOT meeting both of them today was high, I really think that encountering them tonight was perhaps one of destiny's sly tricks on all of us.

- More diwalis, more lights, and more food (YAY.) Happy Diwali everyone!! Diwali Mubarak!!

2 comments: