Monday, October 31, 2011

Spending Halloween Afternoon In Chinatown: VERSION 2011 :D:D:D:D




- October 31, 2011, Monday, Halloween.

- I was supposed to go out today, but it got cancelled last night, so I wasn't sure what to do today. I still wanted to go out, but didn't know whom to go out with, and where.

- My friend Melissa messaged me earlier this afternoon, and told me that she was alone at home with no one to talk with. Bored as hell, she wanted to go somewhere nearby. I suggested to have dimsum at the nearby Golden Fortune, so she could experience my all-time-favorite afternoon dimsum tea parties.

- I arrived at the restaurant at around 2:30pm, and leisurely read a book on Hinduism while waiting for Melissa. Melissa arrived 15 minutes later, after preparing herself and getting a bit lost on the way to the restaurant. After we ordered some dimsum, I showed Melissa my book on Indian folk dances, since both of us had been spazzing on Indian textile and fashion last night. Well, I can't blame her for liking Indian textile, since Indians can really make intricate, and detail-loaded fabric. Saris, cholis, lenghas, and salwar kamizes made from those textiles give more justice, form, and elegance to the fabric.

- Aside from the usual dimsum, Melissa ordered some century-egg siomai, something I've never had, because Melissa was craving for century eggs. Not surprisingly, she eventually ordered a small plateful of century egg slices.

- We talked about the paranormal in the middle of our meal, which I thought was quite appropriate for this time of the season. I haven't felt Halloween this year, since most people have started to be busy on Christmas, and I myself still have a bright and joyous hangover from the recent diwali. Oh Indianness, you color me.

- We decided to sweeten our palate by visiting the Korean grocery in Chinatown - until today it still baffles me to find a Korean store in a Chinese enclave - to have some ice cream. Fortunately, Ms. Choi, the owner, was present today; I haven't seen her since summer I think, or even before summer.

- Ms. Choi greeted us with a warm smile, as always, and talked to us after Melissa and I bought our watermelon-shaped popsicle. Knowing Melissa and her love for all things Korean, like a lot of my friends, she readily talked to Ms. Choi while no other customers were around.

- I called Ms. Choi "nuna," or elder sister, when she told me to call her "ajuma," or auntie. I told her that she still looked like a nuna, but she informed Melissa and me that she was already 43, ready to be married, and her only secret to looking young was her BB Cream. (Oh, Korean facial care products, you win. Haha.)

- We were at the store for more than an hour and a half, just because Ms. Choi was very enthusiastic to entertain us. After she found out that Melissa was taking culinary classes at the Korean Cultural Center, she brought out her recipe book, and gave some pointers to Melissa. Melissa even bought a bean-paste thing because she wanted to try to make a sort of Korean bean soup.

- Soon after, Melissa and Ms. Choi were talking about K-Pop and KDrama, which led to Ms. Choi taking out her laptop and showing us some clips of the shows that she likes to watch. Hahahaha. She even asked for our USB if we were interested to watch. I coincidentally had mine with me, but the memory left in my USB was not large enough to support the size of the clip; I just told Ms. Choi that since she told us the title, we can just look for clips at home.

- Melissa and I finally left the store at around quarter to 6, and while Melissa walked home, I had a stopover at my friend Shirby's store, had a little chat, and walked home.

- The sky turned dark quickly, and the crescent moon - exactly the one Shiva has on his head - was smiling from the night sky. The streets were more quiet because of the holiday, and I had to be careful that no one, dead or alive, was following me. I came home safe, but hopefully, "nothing" followed me home.

No comments:

Post a Comment