Saturday, October 15, 2011

Glittergagement: Red, Gold, and Smoking Rainbow




- October 15, 2011, Saturday.

- My old friend Pei Mei and I had a little chat through Facebook several days ago, and gave me a heart attack after she told me that she'd be getting engaged today. She specifically told me to avoid wearing red since her gown will be red, and her wedding's motif is red as well. It figured that it'd be a good time to wear the blue-and-gold tangzhuang I bought in Korea months ago, especially since one of my uncles passed away recently, and I wasn't in the mood to wear something bright and cheerful too.

- Pei Mei told me that today's engagement ceremony will begin at around 10am (but advised me to come 30 minutes later,) and lunch will be served around an hour after.

- Today, I arrived at President Tea House at around 10:45am, and still I was one of the earliest people to arrive. I even asked the waiter where the engagement was going to be held, and he pointed me to the open-but-barricaded area. Being doubtful, as only around 5 people were there, I asked the waiter again, and he told me the same thing. I waited for more than an hour before people started to come in. It was also nice to see my friend Marineth there. I never knew that she and Pei Mei knew each other.

- While the engagement ceremony was being set up, and people I don't know started to come, Pei Mei's brother Harry say beside me and entertained me and Marineth with card tricks. Although he's still practicing his tricks, I can say that he's good. Well, at least coming from a person who knows zero about magic tricks. Haha.

- As this was the first ever engagement I've ever attended, I took notice of the rituals of a traditional Chinese engagement. First, the rings and other jewelry were exchanged, followed by the exchange and giving of other gifts, and later, the eating of eggs and noodles. The ceremony itself was brief, and Marineth had to constantly remind me to take photos, since I was busy being entertained by Harry's tricks, or by talking to Marineth.

- We all waited a really long time for the food to arrive. Marineth and I were a bit annoyed by some of the mainland-Chinese guests who smoked indoors. I know that that is acceptable in China, but it seems that the mainland people have a hard time adapting to the culture here. Marineth and I were surprised (and relieved) after one of the other customers, a lady, mustered up the courage (and irritation) to go to our barricaded side, and reprimand the smokers, and told them that is was illegal in the country to smoke indoors. Gladly, the smokers listened to her (but smoked again after the lady left the restaurant hours later.)

- The food arrived at around 1:30 (??), long after Marineth left. Too bad she had to leave early for work. Coincidentally, her seat was soon taken by another friend of mine, Zenny.

- People started to leave at around 2:45 or 3, and Pei Mei asked me to stay, so we could discuss the song she wants me to play for her wedding next month. Pei Mei and I, together with her fiance and co., walked towards a computer/camera shop in Benavidez, owned by Pei Mei's soon-to-be sister-in-law. We went to the second floor of the store, which served as a makeshift house, and discussed the song, with the help of youtube.

- Later on, I was able to escape Pei Mei's fiance's smoker friends after Pei Mei asked me to accompany her to her store in 999 mall, and accompany her to 168 to shop. YAY for shopping. I wanted to buy a lot of things, but either the clothes didn't fit me well, or they're too expensive. HAHA.

- I went home at around 5:30, and hoped that my lungs are alright. Other than that, I'm excited for Pei Mei's wedding next month. My Ramayana Queen will indeed be a real queen after her marriage. (Pei Mei played Rani Sumitra in our Ramayana play 4 years ago.)

No comments:

Post a Comment