Sunday, January 22, 2012

The Majestic Welcoming: The Dragon's Entrance, The People's Celebration




- January 22, 2012, Sunday.

- With the Chinese new year fast approaching, I invited a few friends to celebrate the lunar new year with me - at least the day before the year of the water dragon.

- I met my friend Oi Hing in the midpoint of our houses, and quickly walked to President Tea House, since we were late for our 12 noon lunch. Nellie was already there, waiting for us, although she couldn't grab a table since the restaurant was fully-packed, and just as chaotic as the whole of Chinatown. Oi Hing and I even passed by the Korean grocery to greet the Korean owner a "Happy New Year" (Saehae bok manhi padeuseyo!!,) since Koreans also celebrate the lunar new year. They call it "seolnal" or "seollal."

- Oi Hing and I arrived at around 12:30, with Nellie trying her best to place us on the waiting list. Finally, I was able to halt the wandering-and-busy waitress, and place us on the list. We were seated an hour later. HAHA. (I also passed by my friend Shirby's store just to check if she was there, so we'd visit again if she was.)

- When we were seated, I immediately gave Nellie and Oi Hing their angpaos, or red envelopes, with a red ballpen and 2 Flat Tops each. The angpaos weren't fancy, but I thought it 's be nice to give them something for new year.

- The three of us had taro duck, hot shrimp salad, and a bowl of yangchao fried rice. Since the restaurant staff were all in a hurry and a bit confused, we were given a wrong dish that we were all tempted to eat -as long as they don't charge us- since we were really hungry from all waiting for our table, and braving the crowd on the way to the restaurant. Oi Hing treated lunch since her birthday was coming up. (Thanks Oi Hing!!)

- We finished our simple lunch 2 hours later, and all set to explore the street bazaar outside, a.k.a. "The First Pedestrian Day" of Ongpin; Ongpin Street was off limits to cars, since stalls selling and presenting various aspects of the Chinese cultures were set up there, as well as a stage for the day-long cultural performance.

- The three of us strolled through Ongpin after a second visit to Shirby's store, and pausing a bit each time we saw someone we knew. The street was paraded by a mob of mixed tourists - both local and foreign - as well as those like us who call Chinatown as our home, or second home.

- The stalls present showed calligraphy, Chinese paper folding styles, Chinese books, seasonal ornaments, paper-cutting, food (ehem, Eng Bee Tin.) Some stalls were also occupied by the Charity First foundation, and other Buddhist or Chinese organizations,

- I was able to buy myself a Chinese yoyo, a Chinese ornament, and a big rosary. I felt that I had to buy a rosary one of these days, after realizing that I have five (or more) religious paraphernalia from other religions than my own Catholic religion. (Guilty Catholic. Haha.)

- I decided to wear my rather formal red tangzhuang, and my salmon-colored hanbok pants (paji) to feel the "Chinese-ness" of the event. I fake-ranted to Nellie and Oi Hing about how people only noticed my attire, but didn't bother to interview me, or take a picture of me; I was a bit jealous of Ryan Bang, a Philippine-celebrity of Korean descent, who was being chased around by people in Ongpin. He was in Chinatown interviewing people for the comedy show Banana Split. Half an hour later after ranting, a lady asked me if she could have a photo taken with me, because of my costume. HAHAHAHA. Talk about luck.

- We also saw a model having a photoshoot in the middle of the Chinese madness of Ongpin. I don't know why she was there, or for what photoshoot that was.

- We went to and fro Ongpin until around 5pm, when we were a bit tired. Nellie decided to stay at Starbucks, hoping that not a lot of people were there, and gladly there wasn't. We were about to buy drinks when Nellie's parents asked her to come home. Oi Hing and I also decided to leave.

- Instead of going home, my mom asked me to meet her at Ongpin, since I'd be having dinner at my grandmom's house. I saw her and my aunt in the middle of the street, and watched the cultural performance until it ended at 7pm. I had dinner at my grandmom's place, and went home with my mom at 9pm.

- I had a lot of fun this afternoon, and I'm glad I took the challenge of moving with the crowd with my long-sleeved attire. The three of us were able to see some friends we haven't seen in a while, and were able to immerse ourselves more in our own Chinese culture. As of today, one of my tasks in life would be....to figure out how this Chinese yoyo works. :)) :)) :)) :))

- Gong Xi Fa Cai!! Wan Shi Ru Yi!!

3 comments:

  1. Ewan ko. Basta super lahat ng tao nakatitig sa kanya. Maganda kasi talaga siya....and mukhang mababasag pag kalabit mo sa kanya or something.

    ReplyDelete